Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    SammyMorris Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 27, 2017, 09:36 AM
    Shower Body Installation
    I am interested in having a new shower body installed in my bathroom. I live in an apartment building, and I am wondering if the water for the building will have to be turned off, in order to do the installation.

Thanks,
    Sammy
    Milo Dolezal Posts: 7,192, Reputation: 523
    Plumbing Expert

Mar 27, 2017, 10:11 AM
    Hello Sammy,

It depends how the building was plumbed when built. Sometimes, each apartment has its own shut-off valve, sometimes a floor, or section of a building has its own shut off valve. But most of the time, yes, water for the entire building has to be turned off in order to replace body valve.

Ask maintenance man for the building. He should know. Also, usually 24 hour advance notice has to be given to the occupants of the building about water service interruption. So plan accordingly

Milo
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Mar 27, 2017, 10:15 AM
    No you do not need to turn off the water for the building if by shower body you mean just changing the shower head and adding a hose and diverter(?) for that new shower head. The diverter is for a flexible (with hose) shower head, and for a fixed one.

Ask maintenance man for the building. He should know.
    That's the wisest answer.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Mar 27, 2017, 07:36 PM
    You need to first find out if they would allow you to change any of the plumbing. If you are a renter you likely cant make improvements. Do you get a separate water bill? If so you likely have your own meter and shut of valve. If there is no water bill you are out of luck.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I have a shower valve body installed correctly, but no water gets to the shower spout [ 14 Answers ]

I have a shower valve body installed correctly, but no water gets to the shower spout. It seams as there is not enough pressure to make it. When I disassemble the tub, shower, and hot water 1/2" pipes and leave the cold pipe hooked up, water flows through valve just fine. Where is the pressure...

Shower Installation [ 1 Answers ]

What is the proper height for a shower head and valves?

New shower installation [ 1 Answers ]

Does anyone know the average time it takes to install a 36" corner shower ? No shower is existing at this time, plumbing, will have to be installed, drainpipe etc. Thanks, gary

Shower installation [ 2 Answers ]

I'm planning on somehow installing a standup shower in the laundry room that is in the basement of our new house and having the shower drain into the existing floor drain. The only problem is, there is a 3" PVC pipe that runs from floor to ceiling and is about 12" away from the floor drain, so I'm...

Shower installation [ 1 Answers ]

Hi There New here.Can anybody help me with step by step installation Of a shower (meaning heights from trap to pan). Thanks Guys

View more questions Search