Ask
    Johndk Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 22, 2017, 06:15 AM
    Re Handheld shower and shower head
    Is any special shower faucet valve necessary for this unit
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Mar 22, 2017, 06:34 AM
    "This unit". Are you talking about a specific brand and model? If replacing a shower head, they just usually screw on the spout. If you want a regular shower head AND a handheld, you install a diverter on the spout. What are your plans?
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Mar 22, 2017, 05:08 PM
    Hi John

You can install a diverter external to the wall on the SHOWER ARM to control regular shower head VS hand-held shower, or you can install a 3-port diverter internal to the wall to allow use of regular shower head only, hand-held shower only, or BOTH regular shower head AND head-held shower head at the same time. There is quite a bit more work/parts/labor involved with the latter option.

Let us know what you are thinking here...

Mark
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Mar 22, 2017, 06:09 PM
    Yes, we need to know make and model to know for sure. Most after market models do not need a new valve. the diverter is built into the unit. It activates when you press/squeeze a button on the hand held part.
    Milo Dolezal Posts: 7,192, Reputation: 523
    Plumbing Expert

Mar 23, 2017, 07:45 AM
    You will have to use diverter to switch between two shower outlets. Diverter can be a separate valve on the wall or it can be built into the main temp/volume control valve. HansGrohe makes such multi-port shower valves and also few domestic brands offer this same option.

You can also consider installing just hand-held, mounted on adjustable height rail. This is a very popular option. In this configuration, you use regular shower faucet (valve), with single outlet ( wall union) and rail. Hand-held than acts as regular shower head and hand-held. Best such set up is by Grohe

Hope that helps

Milo

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Handheld shower diverter [ 2 Answers ]

Due to accessibility issues, I would like to install a tub spout with a handheld shower outlet. I know that when the diverter knob is pulled, water will be directed to the handheld outlet. If I also install a shutoff valve on the handheld, will the regular shower head I currently have then work?

Where can I buy this handheld shower ? [ 11 Answers ]

It comes with a 72" plastic white hose. The hose is leaking from the crimped connector. Replacing the washer did not help. Local stores (HD, Lowe's, etc) do not carry it. Bought similar items online but they did not meet expectations. Sometimes the hose is too rigid, Sometimes the shower...

Rain shower head & handheld shower head problem [ 4 Answers ]

I have a shower with 2 pipes for showers heads (one on the wall in front, and one on a side wall). The wall in front has a rain shower head on it. The wall to the side has a hand held shower head attached. The pipe with the hand held shower attached has a push button valve to turn the handheld on...

Handheld shower leak [ 1 Answers ]

We just installed a new rain shower head w/a handheld shower. There's not a lot of pressure from the rain shower but at least it works. The handheld shower is a different story. For some reason, when turned on, the water will not come out. Instead, it sprays out from the back of the handle...

Delta handheld shower head [ 1 Answers ]

I just installed a Delta shower massage head, and it has about half the water pressure of the old head I replaced. Is there any way to increase the water flow, like some kind of restricter in the hose or head?

View more questions Search