Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    lucas360 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Mar 19, 2017, 03:58 PM
    Cut back overhang
    Is it possible to cut back the roof overhang without having to re-roof. I have a 2' overhang all the way around the house, it's a very small house so the overhang makes it look even smaller and kind of ugly. I would like to cut it back to about 16" all the way around or at least on the gable ends of the roof, this is were it looks like overkill. The problem is the shingles are only a year old and I don't want to have to re roof. Is there a way to do this without damaging the shingles and maintaining the shingle overhang that's necessary.
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Mar 19, 2017, 07:31 PM
    Sounds like a lot of effort. I would not consider this a DIY job unless you are experienced with carpentry and roofing at heights. Should have been done prior to roofing. Shingles have a typical 5" exposure so cutting 8" would probably not look good. If you do it, cut 5 or 10" but remember you need to reinstall a fascia board.
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Mar 20, 2017, 03:58 AM
    The starter rows of shingles are done differently, and you may have flashing. I doubt that you have gutters, so take the purpose of the deep overhang into consideration too.

Get estimates from an experienced roofer and a GC, and ask for details about the whys and wherefores.
    creahands Posts: 2,854, Reputation: 195
    Ultra Member

Mar 22, 2017, 03:34 AM
    By shortening the overhang you will be increasing the size of the fascia board. Depending on the pitch of the roof this may be more unsightly

Chuck

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

If you cut your eyelashes will they grow back? [ 3 Answers ]

So 6 years ago I was told by a girl who was an old friend and a makeup artist that if you cut your eyelashes they will grow back is this true? I cut my eyelashes and they never grew back :( I asked her father before I did it and he confirmed I believe now its just jealousy but, I could be wrong...

My blower on inside unit will not cut off I cut and crimped wires back together [ 1 Answers ]

Where do I put the blue and red wire to the blower on the inside unit

Soffit overhang [ 6 Answers ]

I have a colonial with a cantilevered overhang that was covered with aluminum soffit panels when the house was vinyl sided. I donot believe that they insulated in between the joist of the overhang. Do you think it would be possible to remove the metal soffit panels and insulate between the joist...

Cantilevered soffit overhang [ 2 Answers ]

Thank you very much for your answers but I know not to stop air flow in the soffit for a roof. I apologize for not explaining the question correctly. The overhang that Iam talking about is not the one for the roof. This overhang is a overhang which is cantilevered over the top plate of the first...

Cut off contact with woman to get her back? [ 50 Answers ]

I was involved in a relationship with a woman for 2 and a half years and she told me 2 months ago that she now just wants to be friends. Some background: during our entire relationship, I could never fully commit to her or return to her the love in the same way that she showed me. I remained hung...

View more questions Search