Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    schaeferelli Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 16, 2017, 09:41 AM
    Driveway Spalling, flaking etc.
    We moved into a spec home 5 years ago. After one year we noticed some unusual flaking, pitting etc. The concrete company came out and attributed it to the salt from our tires and not sealing the driveway. Our driveway has never been salted. We live in the midwest. Now, it is completely flaking and looks horrible just after 5 years. (The entire driveway) However, we never did seal the driveway. From what I have read, Im pretty sure we got a bad batch of concrete. None of our other neighbors's driveways look like ours. I'm wondering how much "weight" bears on sealing a driveway if I decided to go after the concrete company. Does sealing a driveway really make any difference if we received bad concrete?
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Mar 16, 2017, 01:30 PM
    What day/month? What was the weather?

Call another concrete installer to come look.
    Find out what the small claims max is your state.
    Talk to some neighbors.
    Consider a lawsuit.
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Mar 16, 2017, 03:04 PM
    I have never sealed a concrete driveway. However, this might be a regional thing, we live in Atlanta.
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Mar 16, 2017, 04:40 PM
    If you have a warranty on the work (5 years... I doubt it), then call and inquire, you may get lucky. I lived in the Midwest many years and always salted in the winter (NO CHOICE, and never sealed the driveways!), with no damages. Get it redone right, and move on.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Shared driveway with a fence at back part of driveway [ 2 Answers ]

We have a shared driveway with our neighbours. The portion of our driveway that is closest to back of house and yard is so narrow that it is impossible to park a car there. As a result we decided to fence in that portion of our upper driveway to add to our patio area. We built the fence in approx 6...

Concrete spalling [ 1 Answers ]

We had our concrete sidewalk laid last August by a hired contractor. Halfway through the pour it started to rain, actually downpour. They tried to cover it with plastic but the surface was already heavily pockmarked. They than had to wait until the rain stopped about an hour and proceeded to try...

Stained concreted driveway spalling [ 2 Answers ]

I have a concrete driveway that was poured in 2000. I purchased the house in late 2001 and in early 2003 had the concrete driveway stained. I have been unhappy with the results but received little help from the company that stained the concrete. The color did not seem to last and had several...

Spalling or WHAT on my new house foundation? [ 4 Answers ]

Centex home less than 1 1/2 years old. Pock marks all over foundation. One is really bad at the top of the control joint. It has spread to about 2 inches.. with more about to come off.. and at one point I can stick my finger into a hole up to my knuckle right underneath the siding. Clearly...

Concrete driveway spalling [ 1 Answers ]

Yes, I have a badly spalled driveway. I am trying to find products that I can use to repair the driveway, preferably not vynal patches. All I have been able to find is ARDEX, but no one will send it to me or tell me where I can purchase it. The spalling is not deep, 1 inch or less. Any help that...

View more questions Search