Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    bao1 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 15, 2017, 01:09 PM
    Hypothetical questions
    You have been called to Fort Thunder Airport to repair the new HAL2000 unit manufactured by your company, CampCo. Electronics. HAL is $20,000 uninterruptible power supply used by the airport’s radar system. The airport manager, J. Alfred Prufrock, explains that incoming and outgoing flights are at risk. A major storm is approaching, with potential for disrupting power to the airport, and it is imperative that the HAL 2000 be repaired immediately.

You troubleshoot the unit and discover that its V-10 circuit board is defective. However, when you check your repair service locker, you discover that you do not have this board in stock.

You call the office for advice from Eric Stern, director of the CampCo. Service department, but all you get is his voice mail. Based on your experience as the regular service technician for Fort Thunder Airport, you realize that the only possible substitute for the V-10 board is the T.S. Eliot v-12 board.
    You do not stock this equipment, but you know that a v-12 is used in controlling the airport’s departure and arrival monitors.
    However, using an Eliot board in the CampCo unit will violate patent rights and a restricted use clause, creating the possibility of a suit against CampCo. Furthermore, removing the V-12 would disrupt the posting arrival and departure information at the airport.

Your task is to take the most appropriate actions under the circumstances. You might decide to temporarily remove the V-12 board and install it in the HALL 2000, or to alert airport authorities that a V-10 board needs to be obtained from an outside source as quickly as possible, or select another course of action.
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Mar 15, 2017, 01:20 PM
    It is a cute question with those blast from the past names, but what do you want from us? We don't do homework here, but will help as long as you try first.
    Also, what age group is this aimed at?
    [Actually I can't resist throwing in my two cents.]

I would inform the airport that THEY need to decide whether to cancel all outgoing flights and divert all incoming flights, because you cannot fix it immediately.

As for the scenario itself:
    Why isn't the part on your required list of replacement parts to have on hand? You shouldn't have to check your locker. You should have an inventory on your smart device that is connected to the inventory back at the company. There should be a strict protocol at the company about what to have in your locker and what to have available elsewhere and how quickly you can get it. It all should always be current for a job this vital. And we don't even know if this is your fault for not having it on hand.

So cute as this problem is, I don't think it even applies to real life anymore.

BESIDES why didn't you call others after the director? Who stops at the top dog in a situation like this? In fact I would call a lowly employee who is always available, who can contact each one down the line, and call you back, after they found one.

When you are given a problem, ALWAYS ask yourself if the problem itself makes sense. Even if you get a D for it.
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Mar 15, 2017, 07:56 PM
    TS Elliot board? It must have 2 CAT 5 cables, known as CATS! Surprised it doesn't have an A L Webber multiplexer.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Question about a hypothetical light detector [ 1 Answers ]

Suppose we have a single-photon infrared light detector with a flat one square millimetre area light detecting surface that has a light absorbing and detecting layer that is, lets say, exactly one nanometre thick ( one molecule thick ) that can detect any infrared photon with wavelengths between w1...

Hypothetical: Pray or kill? [ 19 Answers ]

A person is pinned under a truck which is on fire and slowly roasting him to death. You are the only one there and he begs you put him out of his misery. The place is isolated and no help will arrive. What would you do? Pray for him as he slowly dies in excruciating pain? Or put him out of his...

Purely hypothetical - I promise [ 9 Answers ]

I love old cars. I really do. I would love to own one. It's not going to happen ANYtime soon. But. Would it be possible to put a vintage (good condition) body and frame over a modern engine and all of that stuff? Or I guess more accurately, could you put a modern engine into an old car?

Hypothetical Response to this statement [ 3 Answers ]

I was just wondering how you could would respond if you ever ran into your ex either in person or on the phone and they mentioned they are now in another relationship. The few ones that came to mind would be good for you, glad you found someone that can make you happy. Not sure exactly and...

View more questions Search