Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    sahi0905 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 14, 2017, 07:15 PM
    Switching careers
    Hi All,

I work in an IT company for past 6 years as a senior software engineer and I have related education.Recently my boss bought a Restaurant business and asking me to manage it by offering me a high pay rate than what he is paying me in his IT company.He is saying he has ideas of expanding the business in future.So I'm confused to accept the offer or stick with what I'm doing now.

I need an advice on this.As my relation with my boss is good over the years as he trusts me with all the financial and internal matters of the company.
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Mar 15, 2017, 01:20 AM
    This is really something no one can give you advice on, it's all about how you feel, and whether you want to switch jobs. It can be scary, but obviously you're considering it, so what's holding you back?
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Mar 15, 2017, 05:11 PM
    You either take the opportunity for more money, or stay where you are in your comfort zone. Which one has a better future? What kind of future do you want?
    Cat1864 Posts: 8,007, Reputation: 3687
    Marriage Expert

Mar 15, 2017, 06:45 PM
    Do you have any restaurant experience either working in one or, at very least, taken a class or two? Does your boss have any restaurant experience? Will your boss provide training in this new area? Is he expecting perfection and profit from the beginning? Will you have workers who are trained and know what it takes to run a successful restaurant?

If you don't do well as a restaurant manager will you be able to return to your previous job?
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Mar 15, 2017, 06:56 PM
    TAKE THE NEW JOB!!!
    How did you feel the instant you read that?

Keep in mind that you will probably be working each day and evening many unpredictable hours, until the problems of the day are solved.
    Is your life unencumbered enough to work every evening, until late? Family?
    Is it safe where you are to drive home late?

And you will have a steep learning curve. There's a lot to know.
    Can you work for a month with the manager who is running it now?
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Mar 16, 2017, 12:49 PM
    With 9 out of 10 new restaurants failing in the first year... think about it long and hard. Can you get your old job back if that happens? Career switches always have risks and rewards... you have to decide how much risk you can tolerate.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Careers [ 2 Answers ]

What career can I do with a felony

Careers [ 1 Answers ]

How doyou become a expert on askhelpdesk and make a profit or you cant

Other careers [ 1 Answers ]

Im currently working at a bank, but Im not a sales person and a lot of my goals deal with sales. I like working at the bank and helping peoples, I just don't like the sales part. What should I do?

Best Careers [ 3 Answers ]

I am trying to find a new career. Is there a way for me to find the top careers. I don't want the top careers that require a lot of education. I was thinking of going to school for massage therepy or maybe being a manicurist. I know I would enjoy these things. I don't want to put all of my energy...

My careers [ 2 Answers ]

My careers is: Going to america america is a nice place aspecialy going to hollywood if any one reads this you can send me a question:) :cool: ;) :D :rolleyes: :cool:

View more questions Search