Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Audrey Woods Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 14, 2017, 05:26 AM
    Children sleeping with opposing sex parent
    My husband thinks it OK for his 33 year old daughter to sleep in the bed with him. We had company over and she could have slept on the couch
    Oliver2011 Posts: 2,606, Reputation: 746
    Ultra Member

Mar 14, 2017, 06:16 AM
    There's a ton of background missing for anyone to make a statement on this. What is perfectly fine and innocent to some might not be fine to others.
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Mar 14, 2017, 08:02 AM
    If the daughter and father have no problem with this arrangement, how is it anybody else's business? Where did you sleep?
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Mar 14, 2017, 03:05 PM
    Agree.. there is a LOT going on here we aren't told. Adults can share a bed in a pinch WITHOUT anything going on... happens all over the world.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Mar 14, 2017, 06:50 PM
    Agreed, it sounds like she was to share the bed with YOU and your husband ? Or where was you.
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Mar 15, 2017, 01:32 AM
    I agree with the others. I don't see the big deal, and I have to ask, what in your past, or your thinking, automatically makes this a big deal for you?

I have a male friend, one of my best friends, he comes over to our house often, and is also good friends with my husband. A few years ago we had a huge get together and a few of the people that attended were a good hour drive from home, and so instead of driving home at 3am when everyone had been drinking, they stayed over. Now we don't have a large house, no spare bedroom, so we did the best we could. My kids bunked together, we put one person in my daughters room (she had and still has a single bed so only one adult would fit), a few people on couches, and two on the floor on blankets, and my friend, my male friend, slept with my husband and me. Ya, it was a bit awkward because they're both bed hogs and they both snore, and I really wanted to smother them both a few times during the night, but all we did was sleep. That was the only reason we were all in bed together.

My husband had a harder time with it, mainly because he needs his space. We have a king size bed and even just him and me he feels crowded. So sometime before morning he got up and went to the garage to watch TV, so it was just me and our mutual male friend in our bed, and not one person thought anything strange about it, because all we did was sleep! That was the purpose of sharing a bed, and the only purpose. I will say, I will never do it again, unless I have earplugs because that man snores loud enough to wake the dead!

I never found it odd when adults slept together in the same bed just to sleep. In many countries families live together even after the adult child is married, and they often share beds, because they can't afford a house large enough to accommodate everyone.

It's not sexual, it's just sleep.

So I think the main question is why you're uncomfortable with it.
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Mar 15, 2017, 02:13 PM
    I agree with all responses above.
    I also see nothing 'wrong' with asking for advice about this.
    A lot is how we were raised ourselves.
    When something like this comes up, I ask myself how most of the world would answer? Most of the world doesn't have the luxuries of big beds and a bedroom for everyone. Whole families sleep in groups of all configurations.
    The times many people think twice is when a new marriage has created stepfamilies, when the familiarity of lifetimes isn't present.
    ChloeMom Posts: 8, Reputation: 1

Jan 24, 2018, 05:05 PM
    I think this sets up conflicts within the family & distrust: what about the mother? Where is 33-yr-old daughter's children/mate, if any? So many angles. In my own opinion, this is inappropriate.
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Jan 24, 2018, 06:01 PM
    ChloeMom, welcome. Try to answer posts that are within the last few weeks, unless it's a real 'how to' or a fact someone is searching for.
    This person is probably all settled by now, and not even seeing your response.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Husband always accuse me of cheating and sleeping with my children father [ 3 Answers ]

I have been married for 6 yrs.. we have no kids together but 7 total.. since a hysto surgery I have had some medical issues that prevents. Me to have sex on a regular. Basis.. he has been deemed disabled and can't work.I work full time and school.. so sex fits in when it can. I know that's a duty...

Need to remember a children's movie about sleeping and dreams [ 1 Answers ]

FRom what I recall, a group of dwarf or gnome like creatures go around and put people to sleep with some sort of dust. However, something happens and they lose their ability to do this. I also remember there is a scene at the end where the characters climb a large staircase into a castle-like...

Parent sleeping with children [ 47 Answers ]

At what age is it inappropriate for a father to sleep with his daughter

Sleeping arrangements for children [ 2 Answers ]

Hi Please can you help me. My ex has moved in with a new partner a new town not in my area, I believe his house is a two bedroomed He has two girls from his first marriage aged 9 and 14. My ex has a daughter of 13 from her first marriage and my two children my daughter aged 9 and my son...

Children sleeping arangements [ 1 Answers ]

My boyfriends 2 girls share a bedroom,ages 9 & 12 there mothers boyfriend whom moved in about a year ago, has a son age 12/13. When he is with his father for the weekend, he sleeps on the floor in the girls bedroom, he doesn't have a room. To top it off, they let the neighbor girl 13 sleep over...

View more questions Search