Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    dontknownuthin Posts: 2,910, Reputation: 751
    Ultra Member

Mar 10, 2017, 07:10 AM
    Matching required in Illinois?
    My kitchen was flooded by an upstairs neighbor. The insurance company and I agree half the cabinets have been ruined. They want to only replace the cabinet boxes of the damaged cabinets and make me reuse the doors. My cabinets are from the seventies and they are built differently today. My doors will not fit currently available cabinets.

I expect replacement of all my cabinets including doors, so they match. I had a kitchen full of matching cabinets with doors and must be left with that.

They say it's not their problem . They say my cabinet design is obsolete and they are not required to leave me with matching cabinets. My cabinets are standard size and are oak. They could eaily be replaced. The style with exposed hinges and a margin of face frame visible around each door.is discontinued though. Cabinets today have flush mounted doors that totally cover the front of the cabinets flush to the edges, with hidden hinges. It seems that while I Cannot insist on a design that is discontiinued, they should have to pay for a reasonable current alternative- a settlement for similar grade oak cabinets in the same sizes and configuration I had before.

In Illinois, are they required to leave me with matching cabinets with doors given that is what I have lost? I know some states have laws about this but don't known if Illinois is among them.
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Mar 10, 2017, 10:21 AM
    They are not required to replace the undamaged cabinets. It can be a problem with older or obsolete items but they are required to "make whole" not remodel your kitchen. I run into this with damaged vinyl siding. In this case, a neighbor's fire damaged the siding. We could not match the siding color due to fading and proposed residing 1 side. Other party wanted the whole house resided. Similar issue.
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Mar 10, 2017, 11:07 AM
    You could sue them in small claims, but I would guess that they would win, as ma0641 says.

If your cabinet doors have no routing for inset or hidden hinges, then you can get the same sizes. You looked at HD and Lowes? They should have plain oak cabinet carcasses without doors and no routing for hinges.

You could negotiate. Say you will accept a check for the carcasses and labor (say 200; more if painting etc involved, discuss it) and then DIY. Get creative with some glass doors, and a cabinet or 2 with no doors, or solid oak shelves between 2 cabinets on shelf supports, all very fashionable now.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Mar 10, 2017, 09:45 PM
    I agree they are only required to replace the damaged items, If you want to replace undamaged ones, that will be your cost.
    dontknownuthin Posts: 2,910, Reputation: 751
    Ultra Member

Apr 7, 2017, 03:39 PM
    Update- I fought it and they are replacing all of the cabinets. I found relevant case law so they gave in.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Matching quotes ? [ 1 Answers ]

Can you match the famous movie quote to the classic film it's from? Test your movie quote knowledge. "We must be over the rainbow!" 1)Summer Magic 2)The Best of Everything 3)The Wizard of Oz

Matching clothes [ 2 Answers ]

Is it okay to wear a tan skirt with a black blouse? The blouse has a bit of a pattern. Then what colour nylons and shoes do I wear?

Matching the wires [ 1 Answers ]

I need wiring instructions. I have a Trane Weathertron thermostat and I want to replace with a Honeywell RTH7400. The Trane Weathertron terminals are as follows: B= Blue X2=Black W= White T= Brown G= Green O= Orange Y= Yellow R= Red

401k Matching [ 3 Answers ]

I have a questions regarding matching of 401k. I work for a hospital that was managed by one company until August 31 of last year. That company had a policy that they would only match the 401K one time a year in March the following year, but only if you were employed by that company on Dec 31. I...

Zodiac matching [ 63 Answers ]

Just a topic off the serious matters for a change ;-) I was never really into zodiac stuff until about 5 years ago when I met an indian friend who told me that in India most marriages are arranged by matching signs, like water and water, fire and fire etc. Back then I was seeing an Aries and...

View more questions Search