Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Mar 7, 2017, 09:21 AM
    Plans say #12 and 20 Amp Minimum
    I am Doing Electronics on a House,
    The Electrician is using #14 Romex. He says #14 is allowed down here now. I still Don't use it. He has it on the block all as well.
    The Plans call for ENT(Electrical Non Metallic Tubing)Typically I would use EMT on the block walls, to be flush with fur strips, and ENT(Smurf)in the ceilings.
    I was always amazed how some of these bids are so low. Now I know.
    I am not a person to Rat or Squeel, Feel bad for the Owner. I feel the Inspector will catch it.
    I hate seeing Crap.
    This is probably not a question, Just venting, can't/won't tell anyone down here?
    I hope at least they use 15 Amp Breakers.
    hfcarson Posts: 1,003, Reputation: 49
    Ultra Member

Mar 8, 2017, 05:44 AM
    Hi Strat, are the plans signed and sealed? Are they part of everyone's contract?
    you might quietly bring this to the owner's attention...
    stanfortyman Posts: 5,598, Reputation: 279
    Electrical & Lighting Expert

Mar 8, 2017, 10:56 AM
    The #12/20A minimum is a stupid requirement for pretty much any house. That is typically there on boilerplate plans where the specifications are general and just copied and pasted.

There is really no reason at all to use #12 for most residential lighting circuits.
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Mar 8, 2017, 01:00 PM
    There is really no reason at all to use #12 for most residential lighting circuits----That's true and a pain in the butt to bend them around the terminals since you cant backwire the builders grade.
    stanfortyman Posts: 5,598, Reputation: 279
    Electrical & Lighting Expert

Mar 8, 2017, 03:47 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ma0641 View Post
    That's true and a pain in the butt to bend them around the terminals since you cant backwire the builders grade.
    Well, I don't ever use backstab connections on devices, but the real pain is in boxes with a lot of wires. They fill up real quick with #12.
    donf Posts: 5,679, Reputation: 582
    Printers & Electronics Expert

Mar 8, 2017, 04:55 PM
    Not to be antagonistic, but if the owner intended for 20 amp circuits he's not getting them.
    Uber Member

Mar 9, 2017, 07:06 AM
    I agree 14 for lighting, #12 for the rest. For the Longest time down here, The Monroe County Supplement to the NEC said No #14. I am not a Romex Electrician, I use Conduit as it is Not Obsolete the Moment it goes in, as Romex is. I also use stranded, as it Reduces eddy currents, and Less stressful on devices in boxes. Stranded does take longer to do the Panel as you have to straighten Stranded, a Little time consuming to make it look good? IMO.
    Donf, I agree, whatever our opinions are on 14, Plans say 12 and Owner is not getting what is called for and Electrician may have won bid due to cheaper materials?
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Mar 9, 2017, 08:26 AM
    Stratmando, did I ever thank you? You were the first person to respond to my first question here, years ago. I wired my own cooktop thanks to you!

As a homeowner, I would want you to squeal. Or just tell me, and I'd demand a reduction in the contract costs.
    Uber Member

Mar 9, 2017, 08:41 AM
    I believe you did, I thank you as well. Hope all has been well with you. You have been doing a lot of good here. Take Care

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Absolute Maximum & Minimum [ 1 Answers ]

h(v) = v^2 - 2v + 4 for the closed interval 0 and 5

Minimum ivestment business plans [ 1 Answers ]

Sir, I have 10 years of experience in marketing field but I have not completed my degree. I have started business in the marketing field please tell me which one is the best small investment business in the above said field Note : my investment is around 1 to 2 lakhs Kindly tell me the best...

The minimum wire sizing for 20 amp breaker? [ 3 Answers ]

Can I 12gauge wiring 20 amp breaker/20 amp outlet?

Good buissness plans for minimum investment [ 0 Answers ]

Hi sir. I am completed Msc in microbiology,I have interest in research but carrying in research field is time taking so I want to do side buissness,for money assisting and knowledge spreading throug my skills and education.Hence my kind request to you suggest me a buissness as such so I can...

Minimum Specs & graphics cards [ 1 Answers ]

Hi- I currently have a Dell Dimension 3000 with an NVidia FX 5500 256MB card. (The Dimension 3000 doesn't handle PCI-e cards) If I want to play a game that says minimum specs is NVidia 6800, can I still get away with playing if I turn graphics options all low in the game? Frank P

View more questions Search