Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Silvermist Posts: 85, Reputation: 2

Mar 7, 2017, 05:30 AM
    How to express anger?
    My mum accused me of something I didn't do today. I was so so angry she wouldn't listen to anything I had to say. Im trying not to argue or fight with her so I just went to my room. But I was so mad I didn't handle it too well. How do you deal with anger especially when your really angry?
    Oliver2011 Posts: 2,606, Reputation: 746
    Ultra Member

Mar 7, 2017, 06:09 AM
    It's a good time to stop your mouth, regain your composure, and think about what outcome you want the situation to move towards. Losing your temper won't help any situation. Parents aren't perfect. We try to be but it just doesn't happen. Realize it's okay for parents to make mistakes.
    Silvermist Posts: 85, Reputation: 2

Mar 7, 2017, 06:56 AM
    I understand no ones perfect and I didn't lose my temper at my mum. I tried to defend myself and when she wouldn't listen I just left. I walked away to not lose my temper at her but was still very angry and did something stupid. What I would like to ask is how you stop feeli g so angry?
    Oliver2011 Posts: 2,606, Reputation: 746
    Ultra Member

Mar 7, 2017, 08:29 AM
    How old are you?

From my perspective I've always felt that getting angry doesn't solve anything and it also takes a lot of negative energy that I don't want to spend or have in my life. It made a huge difference in my life when I realized and accepted I can't control what other people do or say to me. I control how I feel and I choose to be positive despite other people. If you accept that you are in total control of how you feel AND you have the choice to feel negative or positive, wouldn't you rather feel positive so that you can have a good day? I know I do.

But to answer your question, some people count to 10 before responding. That helps you get your thoughts together so that you do not over react. Some people walk away from the antagonist situation to allow themselves to calm down. Also you can set your expectations going into a situation. If you know there's a chance the situation is going to make you angry, then you are ready for it and there's a better chance you will stay calm.
    marisol1997 Posts: 36, Reputation: 1

Mar 20, 2017, 07:38 AM
    Sometimes its best to let some time pass, maybe a day or two before you try to explain where you were coming from, when you are already upset it only makes it harder for people to understand why you were upset. Hope this helps :)
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Mar 20, 2017, 05:42 PM
    You cannot control what feeling you have, nobody can, but you CAN and SHOULD control what you do about them. Doing something stupid should not be an option because of your feelings, no excuse even though it's a common thing for us human to make those emotional mistakes and behave badly, like maybe your mom did, and now you have.

I have learned over the years that its okay to acknowledge those feelings, in your case anger, and give yourself time to feel those feelings and let the intensity diminish and the brain take over, so you can THINK before you act or speak.
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Mar 21, 2017, 07:17 AM
    As was mentioned... everything does NOT require a response... and in fact many times (like this one) responding is only going to make it worse for you. This is one of those cases you aren't going to "win". A good life lesson to learn for when you get out into the real world and HAVE to deal with many people with authority over you where if you get argumentative you WILL likely be fired for insubordination.

You suck it up.. live with it and you will see in the grand scheme of things, its really only a momentary insignificant incident. Right or wrong.

Being accused of Burning down the house is NOT on par with forgetting to pick up your clothes or get the mail if you see the difference. The first one You could legitimately argue, the last two you would not.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Anger [ 3 Answers ]

There so much anger in my heart.I can't let go my past experiences especially my chilhood... I want to become who I am but there are so many people pulling me down.and I am afraid doing things I want to do because I think that I am not capable doing so,I never believe in myself I think I am a...

Is it a crime to express anger and frustration while lodging a complaint to a company [ 3 Answers ]

A husband and wife couple went into a mailing business (mail lock box w/street addy) to retrieve a box that had been sent there by mistake by UPS because it's where they used to have their mail. The husband was visibly upset and after they gave him the box, he vented a little making it very obvious...

Help my anger [ 11 Answers ]

Hi I'm 15 years old and my name is Brandon. Ok look I have gone to counseling and anger management but none of that stuff works. My anger is starting to even scare me. I don't look for attention and if u want to tell me otherwise u might as well fuck off and pray I don't find you. Well I...

View more questions Search