Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Mommak2120 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 6, 2017, 11:10 PM
    How to stop the throbing in your thumb after a deep cut and it has stiches
    My husband sliced open his thumb he removed about 3 inches of his thumb. He went to the dr he was able to move enough skin and stich it together. Now the numbing medicine has worn off it is throbbing horribly he has pin meds but they are not working is there anything I can do besides keeping it elevated above his heart. They gave him pain medication but it is not working

Thank you
    Kathy
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Mar 7, 2017, 03:26 AM
    What pain med, and what dose, for how long? Doctors give out small amounts of narcotics/opiates these days because of abuse and addiction. He needs to tell the doctor it hurts horribly and beg for another script.
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Mar 7, 2017, 06:50 AM
    Can you define "removed 3 inches of his thumb". That would be an amputation. Is that what happened or a 3 inch cut?
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Mar 8, 2017, 05:02 AM
    Unless bleeding heavily, not necessary to elevate his arm above his heart. He needs circulation to commence into the wound for healing. Pain thresshold is a factor, as I have said before and this may be your hubby has a low tolerance for pain. He may not need to take any more prescription drugs but an anti inflammatory would probably benefit him, and OTC like Advil or Aleve depending on what other meds he is on. A pharmacist can generally be very helpful in a this instanc

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I cut my thumb nail [ 5 Answers ]

Tonight while making dinner, I cut my thumb nail with my knife. It's not horrible, but it's not something to celebrate either because it's in a painful place. The knife cut through half the width of my fingernail. It's about a centimeter down from the top of the nail. It's not particularly deep,...

Deep cut on thumb [ 4 Answers ]

I cut my thumb across the top pretty deeply (slipped with a box knife). Stopped bleeding after about 24 hours but now skin over knuckle has no feeling at all and rest of thumb tingles. Also hurts when I bend it but I assume that is the skin just stretching. Is this OK or have I done some nerve...

I'm 14 and I am sucking my thumb! How do I stop? [ 3 Answers ]

I have sucked my thumb all my life. I used to blame my dad for not giving me a binki when I was a baby but I don't believe that any more. My parents have tried everything like hot stuff and this stuff that we put on the nail but it dident work! We also tried rubber gloves but its I can suck my...

Deep cut [ 1 Answers ]

I cut myself on my hand at work, it is a small, clean, but rather deep cut. I cleaned it, put pressure on it, and put some antibacterial on it, then wrapped in a band aid because I had to be at work the rest of the day. It has been quite a few hours since then, but it is still bleeding. But now I...

Deep cut [ 1 Answers ]

One week ago I cut the crap out of my index finger,had 2 get stitches,7 days past then I took out the stitches,I think that I should have waited longer to take them out, now I have almost a sharp throbbing pain should I go back 2 th er?

View more questions Search