Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mfburnette Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 6, 2017, 02:01 PM
    Current flow in 3 phase circuit
    I have a 208 volt three phase AC supply. We want to attach one 18 amp single phase load to A-B and another identical single phase load to B-C. There is no load attached to A-C. There are resistive loads. My question is: How much current flows in Leg B? These two loads are the only connections to the supply. The neutral is not used.
    hfcarson Posts: 1,003, Reputation: 49
    Ultra Member

Mar 8, 2017, 05:51 AM
    If the loads draws 18 amps on A and B, and then 18 amps on B and C then
    18 + 18 = 36 amps on the B phase.
    Can you explain why you have asked this question? Were you expecting a
    different result? If so, what were you expecting?
    mfburnette Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 8, 2017, 10:57 AM
    Thank you for your reply. Because the source is a 3 phase AC supply I was wondering if the 120 degree off-set between phases would make a difference. If these were DC power sources through resistive loads then the Ohm's law calculation would indicate 36 amps in the B leg. I know that calculating current flow in 3 phase loads requires the use of the square root of 3 in the calculations. That is why 3 phase circuits cause ma a bit of confusion at times. I could just set it up on a bench and just measure with an amp clamp meter.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Short circuit making current and breaking current? [ 3 Answers ]

What is the difference between short circuit making current and short circuit breaking current of switch-gears? Is short circuit making current and short circuit making capacity same?

How to calculate the short circuit current flow in a three phase circuit [ 3 Answers ]

How to calculate the short circuit current flow in a three phase circuit?

Is it true that single phase motor takes more current than a 3 phase motor, if so why [ 2 Answers ]

A single phase air conditioner takes 8 amps, while the same with 3 phase takes only 3 amps, the billing is finally for the amps consumed right, so why not only 3 phase.

Current asset and current liabilities in cash flow [ 7 Answers ]

Hi, I need to know, how can current assets and current liabilities balances can be used in preparation of a cash flow statement. Help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

How am I going to size my 3 phase X'mer with 1 phase load using current as reference [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I'm Peping: I have 90 pieces of single phase loads with current of 2 Amperes. This will be loaded to a 3 phase transformer, Wye connected having a line to line voltage of 220 Volts. What will be the size of the transformer required for the mentioned loads? Many thanks, Peping

View more questions Search