Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    rtbatch Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 6, 2017, 10:27 AM
    Cellar floor drain into sump
    Plumbing code is not very definitive whether you can tie a basement floor drain (for boiler / water heater overflow) into a ground water sump that drains into a storm sewer. There is no connection with the sanitary system or utility sinks, as they drain into a septic system.
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Mar 12, 2017, 04:40 PM
    Hi rtbatch

I certainly cant speak to code in your area at this time as I don't know where you are from, but from where I'm sitting, I see no reason you can't connect into the storm water system. Here, you not only have no concerns about sewer gasses, but if you think about it, this protective overflow setup will almost never be used... right? I say go for it! Questions? Let me know, OK?

Mark
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Mar 13, 2017, 04:20 PM
    Where do you live? Where I live, Chicagoland, you can not tie a floor drain to anything but sanitary line.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can I replace a basement floor drain with a sump pump? [ 3 Answers ]

There is a two inch ditch just inside walls that lead to floor drain (8 3/4 inches square, with two inch round hole in center). Can I dig this up and replace with a sump pump? I get water backing up through drain during heavy rain that floods my basement (clear water)?

Gurgeling coming from drain in tub on second floor every time sump pump runs [ 2 Answers ]

My husband installed a new sump pump in the basement. Every time the pump runs, the bathtub drain on the second floor makes a loud gurgeling noise. The snow is melting and it's raining. The pump is running a lot. It sounds like a symphony in my bathroom. HELP!!

Gurgling floor drain when sump runs [ 5 Answers ]

Hi,I have a basement floor drain that recently started gurgling when the sump runs. It usually gurgles a few seconds after the sump kicks on and then again a few seconds after the sump shuts off. I can also hear gurgling at the pump itself. Any ideas, The vent stack is clear. I snakes...

Need ideas for converting floor drain into sump [ 3 Answers ]

Well my grand idea from this thread didn't pan out https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/plumbing/how-tie-into-vertical-sewer-pipe-new-drain-272705.html- the area where I can access the vertical sewer pipe is already joined and T's and cleanout'ed and I cannot T into it again at an elevation that works. ...

Tying a basement floor drain into sump basin [ 5 Answers ]

I am planning to install a floor drain in my basement which will discharge into my sump basin. Unfortunately, water on the floor will not flow into my sump since the lip of the liner is actually sitting on top of the slab, surpassing it by about a 1/4 inch. It was installed to collect water from...

View more questions Search