Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jlisenbe Posts: 5,019, Reputation: 157
    Uber Member

Mar 6, 2017, 07:51 AM
    Battery issue - New battery dead after a month
    Son had a dead battery in his Mazda a month ago. Took it to Advance Auto. They put in a new battery and said their instruments showed his alternator was good. Did not drive the car this weekend and woke up to a completely dead battery. Wondering if the battery is bad or if there is something in the car draining the battery.
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Mar 6, 2017, 10:26 AM
    The Alternator may have been Intermittent, tested good, then Bad. If it is not Charging now, Most likely needs to be replaced.
    3 Reasons for dead Batteries:

1 Bad Battery(water?)
    2 Not Charging
    3 A Draw

A Current Meter will show amount of Load or Draw on the Battery.

Remove Fuses 1 by 1 to see if you can locate any heavy loads. They have Clamp On DC Amp Meters, Are nice as you don't have to open the circuit and get between the Load. Good Luck
    Uber Member

Mar 6, 2017, 07:06 PM
    Battery was dead as a doornail. He jumped it off and drove it to Advance Auto. The alternator charged the battery and AA said the battery was good. It's a mystery so far.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Mar 6, 2017, 07:17 PM
    What year and model is the Mazda? All cars have a slight drain when sitting but it should not drain the battery for many months. Did they test the old battery? Car might have a short somewhere.
    Uber Member

Mar 7, 2017, 07:13 AM
    2009 Mazda 3, at least I think that is what it is. Something must be draining the battery. It went from fully charged to dead as a door nail in one weekend.
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Mar 7, 2017, 08:08 AM
    You could have New battery tested again, Some new things are bad.
    Alternator may be intermittent? Drain still a possibility.
    I would get something like this, Cigarette Lighter Voltmeter:

http://www.gearbest.com/car-gadgets/...FQW1wAodEkIH-g

It will show if alternator is charging while you drive.

Finding a Draw requires removing of fuses, one at a time. unplugging connectors, Disconnecting Alternator, Ran into a Seatbelt Interlock that cause excessive draw when parked?
    Uber Member

May 11, 2017, 11:50 PM
    End of story. He must have left something on because the battery has been good since then.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

May 12, 2017, 08:14 PM
    I will say this, new batteries can go bad, we sell the wheel chair type batteries and some car batteries. We sell the MK brand. While rare, we have some bad in a week or two.
    Uber Member

Jun 3, 2017, 03:46 PM
    It seems like it is good. No problems since then.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

1998 honda accord is dead flat! Brand new battery is less than a month old [ 3 Answers ]

Have had this problem for a week now! Car will start fine 1 day then the next day is dead flat not even the lights on... have bought a new battery about a month ago so figured it can't be that.. when its jump started it starts mo problem! Ideas anyone please?

Dead battery [ 1 Answers ]

My 1997 mtd riding mower drains battery in seconds.

Dead battery [ 5 Answers ]

Jump started a dead battery,drove down the street car started slowing down battery died again.Could this be the battery or alternator? Sharon

Battery goes dead [ 2 Answers ]

My Weed Eater tractor battery does not hold a charge. Must charge it every time I go to mow the lawn. Help Maryelen

Battery goes dead [ 1 Answers ]

My battery goes dead over night when I leave the + wire on checked over all wires can't find anything the battery works fine in my other truck can leave it for a week no problems can't figure this one out

View more questions Search