Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Karolina1981 Posts: 0, Reputation: 2

Mar 3, 2017, 11:54 AM
    Would you rather be raised by your single biological mother or by an adoptive couple?
    What would be better for you?
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Mar 3, 2017, 12:05 PM
    Do we know anything more about them? Character? Personalities? Countries they live in? Employment? Do they know each other?
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Mar 3, 2017, 12:08 PM
    That's not an easy decision for an adult to make. I grew up with my parents, and I had a great childhood. If one of them weren't around, I'd still want to be raised by the other one. I'd never trade them in for new parents.

But that's because I know their personality, I grew up with them, I love them.

A baby can't make this choice, it's up to his/her parents to make that decision based on what's best for baby, and what's best for the single parent.

Mar 3, 2017, 12:13 PM
    The question deals ONLY with single parenting versus adoption.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Mar 3, 2017, 12:24 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Karolina1981 View Post
    There are too many variables at work in this question. It isn't an either/or situation. A human life is at risk. Please reread Alty's response above.
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Mar 3, 2017, 03:13 PM
    Who are you asking, is what I'm asking you.
    Since I am 70 years old, this is hypothetical.
    I had a pretty awful mother. Everyone in my small town knew it. One day a woman I babysat for told me out of the blue that I could live with her, her husband, and their kids. Very nice family. I thanked her and never brought it up with her or anyone, not even myself. I loved my dad, although he was distant and at work all the time. It was more comfortable to be miserable.

In the hypothetical? I would imagine a loving single mother and want to stay with her. IT DEPENDS ON THE MOTHER, NO???? Whether she is loving and responsible as a parent, no matter how poor, vs. a drug addict prostitute who leaves you alone for days or whose string of drug dealing boyfriends rape you?

This is starting to make me angry in the 'why don't you get it' category.
    If this is a survey for a paper in school, I would drop it.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Mar 3, 2017, 05:06 PM
    A child can be raised either way and there is never such a choice, The only way you are raised by adoption is if the parent gives up the rights or have them taken away. If taken away then it is better.

So the question is mute and has no reality value
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Mar 3, 2017, 06:14 PM
    You can't really answer this question. If you had/have a miserable childhood, you would probably say adoption. However, if you have a great upbringing, you might say parents. I doubt there are many parents who haven't heard, "You are terrible, you don't understand me, I can't wait to leave here"!

Mar 3, 2017, 09:37 PM
    JOYPULV, it's just for me. Thanks.

Ladies and gentlemen, thank you for your answers. I only wanted to know whether fatherlessness would be perceived as something more tragic than being raised by two parents, but unrelated ones.
    current pert

Mar 4, 2017, 02:51 AM
    Then you need to find people who actually grew up in either of those situations.

Mar 4, 2017, 03:06 AM
    There are a lot of people who grew either adopted or raised by a single mother and their experiences differ, obviously. But I was wondering what would be THEORETICALLY better.
    current pert

Mar 4, 2017, 04:22 AM
    The one with good parenting, which can be either.
    That's why your question as stated cannot be answered.
    What is the purpose of theoretical in a question of this sort?
    There are many books and studies done on single parenting. Yes, a very well adjusted and happy child can be raised by a single mother. The mother CAN fill in as a father figure, or provide one with relatives, or teachers and friends can fill in. It does take skill and understanding. And most children wonder at some age about who their biological father is or was. But that doesn't have to hamper a good life. It depends, it depends.

Mar 4, 2017, 04:25 AM
    What is it like to be raised by a single mother?
    I know that people's experiences will differ, but I simply like reading about - forgive me - imperfect family structures and how the now adult children perceived their childhood.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Mar 4, 2017, 08:41 AM
    Why would you say or what is the reason you believe that any family relationship is "imperfect". A single parent family is just that a family, it is different from one where it is just father or just mother. Or where it is a divorced or where it is a gay or lesbian family. It is different if is a rich or a poor family. It is different if it is a farm, villiage or city family.

If the children have to work feeding animals and helping on the farm, of if they spend the evening playing video games.

Then move to international where in China for example, 80 percent of children in JR high and high school live at the school, not home.

Or families where mom and dad work and the child is actually raised by grandparents or older siblings.

There is no such thing as a "normal family".
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Mar 4, 2017, 09:27 AM
    I agree, there is no perfect, or imperfect family structure. They are all unique to the people in them, so there is no one size fits all for NORMAL. Are you asking this question, and your other one, because of your own situation?

It certainly sounds like you need support and clarity for whatever you are going through.

Care to share?

Mar 4, 2017, 09:39 AM
    No, it's a theoretical question. I'd like to know if the lack of the father (as it's usually the mother who gets custody) detrimental to a child's emotional well-being.
    Expert

Mar 4, 2017, 09:44 AM
    There are already some great stories out there, as there are some very sad ones too. What's your story, so we can get some idea of your feelings, or is this a poll you are taking? More info and feedback from you will get you more info and feedback from us.
    Expert

Mar 4, 2017, 09:47 AM
    It can and has been for many, but at the same time there are many who have thrived greatly without a father being in there lives.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Mar 4, 2017, 09:47 AM
    No, it's a theoretical question. I'd like to know if the lack of the father (as it's usually the mother who gets custody) detrimental to a child's emotional well-being.
    From my observations of friends and relatives who have raised children in non-traditional situations, an absent father is not necessarily detrimental to a child's well-being. Now, pull up a chair and I'll tell you horror stories about the emotional upsets of children in two-parent (husband-wife) families.
    current pert

Mar 4, 2017, 11:41 AM
    Karolina, you remain just as confusing as before.
    You start out wanting to 'hear how the now adult children perceived their childhood.' Then further down you insist that this is a theoretical question.
    We have all tried to convince you that this is NOT theoretical.
    To make it theoretical, you have to find one group of adults raised by single mothers, and another group raised some other way. (Yesterday it was adoptive parents.)
    You look for key elements of their responses to see if you can draw conclusions about them that allows you to postulate a THEORY.

If your goal now is to simply hear about 'imperfect family structures,' then you are really just a voyeur in people's problems, and it is downright creepy.
    I thought the request by someone to tell us what it is you want out of this, something about yourself, then we can put you in some sort of context.
    Otherwise.... I'm out of here.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Raised veins in front of elbows, tattoos raised also raised and hard [ 1 Answers ]

The veins where my elbows bend are raises and hurt to the touch. Also when this happens all tattoos that I have are also raised. Not sure If I should worry or not

Biological Mother wants visitation after adoption to biological Aunt [ 2 Answers ]

I was on drugs and incarcerated off and on, child protective services took my son. I couldn't get it together though given a chance by the courts. I relapsed and my son was put up for adoption again. Myself and the father signed a consent form for his biologial great aunt to have him, she then...

Is a biological mother responsible to repay child support to a non biological father [ 3 Answers ]

The mother of a child was in a relationship with 2 men at the same time, she became pregnant. She married one of the men who has raised the child as his own and now they are divorced and he pays child support. The other man has wanted to know for years (8) if he is the biological father but...

Questions about adoptive rights for biological parents [ 2 Answers ]

What are the rights of the birth parent who has willingly given their children up for a closed adoption in terms of gaining contact with their children?

How do I find someone by their maiden name-adoptive mother? [ 2 Answers ]

How do you find someone by their maiden name in Virginia?

View more questions Search