Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Karolina1981 Posts: 0, Reputation: 2

Mar 4, 2017, 01:11 PM
    I'm sorry, I didn't mean to offend anyone. I am just trying to accumulate as much information as possible. No-one owes me his or her story, though.

My life is irrelevant here, really.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Mar 4, 2017, 01:24 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Karolina1981 View Post
    I'm sorry, I didn't mean to offend anyone. I am just trying to accumulate as much information as possible. No-one owes me his or her story, though.

My life is irrelevant here, really.
    No one is offended! Haven't you been reading our responses to you?

Mar 4, 2017, 01:37 PM
    I thought Joypulv is sick and tired of my questions and wishes I explained why I'm posting them. :) Thanks for all replies.
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Mar 4, 2017, 01:59 PM
    Theoretically are both prospective parents able to raise a child, love a child, give it a good home?

You can't know what the adoptive parents will be like, just because they choose to adopt doesn't mean they're going to be good parents. I have a friend that was adopted as a baby, his adoptive parents were a nightmare. His mom was okay, but not great. His father was an abusive alcoholic. Even though his birth mother was only 14 when she had him, he often said that he would have rather been raised by her, but then he never met her, so he can't say life would have been better for him if she had kept him.

It's all hypothetical, and that's why we can't answer this question. No one can. It all depends on the biological parent, and the adoptive parents, and we can't determine what either set would be like as parents.
    Pets Expert

Mar 4, 2017, 02:05 PM
    No, Joy isn't sick of your questions, she's frustrated because of how your questions are presented.

This can't be a theoretical question, and it can't be a hypothetical one, especially with the number of times you've asked it.

This is a Q&A site, we get many questions about family situations, but we need more info in order to help. You post your questions as if they're for a term paper, research, and yet you post them more than once, seem like you urgently need an answer. You're investing a lot of time and effort into asking this question and getting answers, but you're not giving us enough to go on when giving an answer.

I think that based on the vagueness of your questions, you've gotten great answers. So, if there's a reason you still need more, then you're going to have to give us more to go on. Do you understand where we're coming from?

Mar 4, 2017, 02:07 PM
    Actually, I hoped for some personal stories. How people estimate their own childhood, etc.
    Pets Expert

Mar 4, 2017, 02:14 PM
    Ya, no thanks. I have no desire to share my personal story just because you're curious. Also, I'm going to ask that the mods move this thread. This forum is about parenting questions. If you're just wanting a discussion, a chat, then it should be moved to a chat forum.

Good luck.
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Mar 4, 2017, 02:34 PM
    Theoretical, personal stories, theoretical, personal stories.
    First I was frustrated and a bit angry. Now I find this sad.
    You don't get what anyone is saying.
    You don't understand theoretical.
    You don't respond to any questions.
    You go back and forth and repeat yourself.
    Is there a chance that this is actually VERY personal? If so, please say so, and maybe people will feel more giving.
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Mar 4, 2017, 03:43 PM
    We have 2 adopted grandchildren. One from Guatemala and one from the Midwest. We went to Guatemala for a wedding of a very well connected family who was able to find the home of the grandchild. Believe me,he is far better off in Mooresville ,NC with our daughter. Our other grandson came from a family who chose adoption over abortion. What a smart 12 year old. So, it is very hard to take one position over the other. All life is precious, raised by a single parent or adopted.

Mar 5, 2017, 12:36 AM
    JOYPULV, I do read what others say. And I said I appreciate all replies.
    current pert

Mar 5, 2017, 03:25 PM
    Key elements of your questions, in order:
    1. Would you rather be raised by your single biological mother or by an adoptive couple?

2. I only wanted to know whether fatherlessness would be perceived as something more tragic than being raised by two parents, but unrelated ones.
    3. ....and their experiences differ, obviously. But I was wondering what would be THEORETICALLY better.
    4. I simply like reading about- forgive me -imperfect family structures and how the now adult children perceived their childhood.
    5. No, it's a theoretical question.
    6. Actually, I hoped for some personal stories.

If you can't see how you are going back and forth between theory and actual personal stories, I don't see how anyone can offer much. Some have kindly offered personal stories, but none about themselves growing up in either way you ask about.

Please tell us, how were YOU raised? Please tell us, are you thinking about adopting? Please tell us, are you or someone close to you thinking about raising a child alone, or giving one up? Revealing personal stories is a TWO WAY STREET.

Mar 6, 2017, 12:06 AM
    JOYPULV, the problem is my two questions were merged into one. That's absurd but what can I do? I am new on this forum. So you are wrong about me saying that I go back and forth. My answers came from two different posts. I don't know how it happened. When I asked what it is like to be raised by a single parent, it was about practice. When I asked, what people would choose for themselves, it was theory.

My life is meaningless here. I asked because I'm reading about adoption and single motherhood in US. I noticed fatherlessness is a big issue now in USA. And I noticed that some agencies and Christian sites are advocated of adoption because "every child need a mom and a dad". To me, a loving bio mother is better than two loving but unrelated people (or even related but not parents), not matter her age or financial situation. But when I asked this THEORETICAL question, some people said they would choose an adoptive couple. Still learning...
    Pets Expert

Mar 6, 2017, 04:10 PM
    The thing is, what people would choose for themselves isn't theory or theoretical, it's based on their life experience, the parents they had, their childhood. It's not at all theoretical.

What people would choose for an unplanned pregnancy, also isn't theoretical, because people know themselves, know what their choice would be. They may have to think about it, may change their minds a few times, but most people that have an unwanted, unplanned pregnancy, have a pretty good idea what they're going to choose to do with that pregnancy, and it's not always the right choice.

Now, do I think, theoretically, that a single young mother is better than adoptive parents? That's not a question anyone can easily answer. Is the single mother able to provide for the child financially? Is the single mother able to properly care for the child? Does the single mother want this child? Are the adoptive parents able to provide for the child financially, care for the child, love the child as their own? Every person is different, every situation is different, which is why this question can't be answered theoretically, it has to be about facts based on each individual case.

Oh, and your questions were merged because they were the same question asked in different ways. It's best to ask once, and stick to one thread for answers.

Mar 6, 2017, 05:23 PM
    No, these questions differed. It's one thing to ask about someone's experience, and the other to ask about a hypothetical situation.
    current pert

Mar 7, 2017, 03:41 AM
    The titles differed, but you went back and forth between personal and hypothetical within each one. I wish I could reconstruct them.
    There's just something strange about your wish to have people spend their time giving you a glimpse of their lives to a total stranger for no reason other than the fact that you like to read about 'imperfect families' or whatever the phrase was.
    We have tried and tried to tell you that it depends, it DEPENDS.
    If you want to spend a year studying US statistics (or any other country) of social trends based on single parenting vs adoption, and try to formulate a theory and some conclusions, feel free to do so. Or, go to the library and find books on the subject. There are conservative and religious groups who love to write about the downfall of society and how fatherless children play a role.

If you just want to hear what for many people are sensitive recollections, often painful, with nothing in return, then you are barking up the wrong tree.

Mar 7, 2017, 05:56 AM
    I said no-one owes me a story. But there are places on the Net where people share their experience gladly. And if they are not willing to do so, they say nothing.

I read some articles about fatherlessness, decline of marriage in US, adoption, etc. I have read hundreds of short personal stories, whose authors simply answered questions like: "What is it like to be raised by a single mother? "... by teenagers?", etc. These stories may not give a general view what it is like to be... but since there are so many of them (thanks to people who were willing to answer these questions), they gave me hope that children raised in not ideal circumstances may still be happy.
    Cat1864 Posts: 8,007, Reputation: 3687
    Marriage Expert

Mar 7, 2017, 06:47 AM
    Karolina, I think part of the problem with your questions is that they sound like homework. Like you are asking others to do your work for you which is something this site does not allow. Another part is that you seem to have an expectation of others posting their thoughts/stories and that's it. Other Question & Answer sites are like that. We aren't. Whether it is repairing a washing machine or repairing a relationship, we try to give the best advice/help we can. To do that takes the original poster (op) asking a question that has an answer or for the op to be willing to discuss the issue.

Your threads were merged and moved to a Discussion board because however your dress it up, it is the same question (and you are not asking for advice.) Which is better single mother or two-parent adoptive families?

As has been said, this is a question that has no definitive answer. You won't find a concrete answer just by reading other people's thoughts and stories. You won't find out why there is no concrete answer just by reading. You need to participate in the Discussion. Ask questions, read answers, give your thoughts, etc. Share.

Talk with us.

Mar 7, 2017, 09:58 AM
    Sorry, I was seeking a place where questions can be asked and answers expected. Clearly I was wrong.
    Pets Expert

Mar 7, 2017, 04:09 PM
    No, these questions differed. It's one thing to ask about someone's experience, and the other to ask about a hypothetical situation.
    No, not at all. You didn't post in either original thread question, what you were looking for.

It wasn't until we digged and asked more questions that you came up with the hypothetical and real life experience, and having posted in both threads, you asked for both experiences in both threads

Both threads were exactly the same, not at all clear on what you wanted, and not at all clear about the purpose for the question.
    Pets Expert

Mar 7, 2017, 04:14 PM
    Sorry, I was seeking a place where questions can be asked and answers expected. Clearly I was wrong.
    Sigh. You have found a place where questions can be asked and answered, but yours can't be answered definitively.

Let me try to show you the problem, because obviously our explanations as to why this question is impossible to answer, aren't good enough, and you're not understanding.

So I'll try to help you by posting a question for you to answer:

Is it better to be blind, or deaf?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Raised veins in front of elbows, tattoos raised also raised and hard [ 1 Answers ]

The veins where my elbows bend are raises and hurt to the touch. Also when this happens all tattoos that I have are also raised. Not sure If I should worry or not

Biological Mother wants visitation after adoption to biological Aunt [ 2 Answers ]

I was on drugs and incarcerated off and on, child protective services took my son. I couldn't get it together though given a chance by the courts. I relapsed and my son was put up for adoption again. Myself and the father signed a consent form for his biologial great aunt to have him, she then...

Is a biological mother responsible to repay child support to a non biological father [ 3 Answers ]

The mother of a child was in a relationship with 2 men at the same time, she became pregnant. She married one of the men who has raised the child as his own and now they are divorced and he pays child support. The other man has wanted to know for years (8) if he is the biological father but...

Questions about adoptive rights for biological parents [ 2 Answers ]

What are the rights of the birth parent who has willingly given their children up for a closed adoption in terms of gaining contact with their children?

How do I find someone by their maiden name-adoptive mother? [ 2 Answers ]

How do you find someone by their maiden name in Virginia?

View more questions Search