Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jammy23 Posts: 545, Reputation: 0

Mar 2, 2017, 07:00 AM
    Water damage
    My friend has a MAC laptop and she spilled a bit of water on it. The first thing she did,
    Which she learned afterward was wrong, was to use a hair dryer. Anyway, the
    Damage is minimal but what is missing is the ability to type a period. This
    Interferes with emails addresses... all addresses... Is there a way around this? Oh,
    She says a comma also.
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Mar 2, 2017, 09:01 AM
    If you spill water into electronics best thing to do is wipe the water off as best you can, then put the item into a plastic bag with some sort of desiccant (raw rice works well), seal the bag, and let it sit a few days so that the water that has worked its way inside the case can evaporate. Be careful that the rice grains don't work their way inside the device!

Sorry, I have no advice for resurrecting the period and comma, but it may be possible to transform two other keys that are rarely needed into these. For example you could map the [ and ] symbols to period and comma. See: https://www.howtogeek.com/howto/wind...dows-xp-vista/

Mar 2, 2017, 09:42 AM
    Thank you for your response. She will try it.
    Appzalien Posts: 540, Reputation: 57

Mar 2, 2017, 01:11 PM
    It might be a good idea to pull the battery as well. If all that appears to have happened is a few keys malfunctioning you should be OK, at least no important electrical parts were fried. If you wrap the rice in a paper towel or hanky it can help prevent the rice from getting where you don't want it. Even freezer ziplock bags will not be big enough for a laptop, so if you use a small garbage bag tie it close to the laptop keeping the air inside minimized but not vacuumed so tight it can't breath. Then put it in a warm place were genital heat can help with the evaporation. It's probably just a little water at the key positions causing the issue. As long as the water isn't hard water which can leave a film of lime on the key pad you should be good. If it doesn't work you might consider taking it to a mom and pop shop and ask to have it cleaned. I've had success doing that with regular keyboards but taking apart a laptop is a little more complicated.

Mar 2, 2017, 04:18 PM
    I appreciate your getting back to me. I have copied these suggestions
    And now we'll see what works.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Renters rights in Texas structural damage to apt. no water damage [ 2 Answers ]

My whole roof in my apt. came crashing down all at once not due to water damage living there only 4 months I have no renters ins. About 4,000 in damage apt. dragging it out what are my rights sad in Texas

Can a high water pressure damage my water heater? [ 2 Answers ]

Can a high water damage my water heater?

Water damage and Asking for More? [ 5 Answers ]

I need assistance with an issue and hope you can provide guidance. I have a downstairs neighbor who suffered water damage when my plumber replaced my bathroom toilet. I went to look at the damage with contractor, and we agreed to repair the section of ceiling and one wall that had water...

Water damage due to changing water pressure regulator/valve? [ 4 Answers ]

Hi, Several days ago I had a plummer came to fix the water pressure regulator outside of my house that connects to the street main water supply, within minutes after he fixed it and left we had a water leak inside the house and flooded our wood floor, we called the plumber right away and he came...

View more questions Search