Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    JohnsPop Posts: 99, Reputation: 2

Mar 1, 2017, 01:50 PM
    Interior or exterior paint on shower window
    We have a window to the outside in our shower/tub. It had some rotten wood that I'm repairing and I'll need to repaint the whole thing. Due to constant moisture in there and probable expansion/contraction, should I use exterior paint when I repaint the window or just stick with semi/gloss interior?
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Mar 1, 2017, 03:50 PM
    Be sure to prime the wood first and then use exterior enamel for decks and siding. Curious how you repaired the rot
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Mar 1, 2017, 05:18 PM
    I don't repair rotted wood anymore, I use PVC board and trim. You can get almost all profiles in PVC today, particularly interior trim. Never have to worry about rot. You can even overlay the old boards and then put larger trim on.
    JohnsPop Posts: 99, Reputation: 2

Mar 7, 2017, 05:25 PM
    I used a PVC 1x4 for the bottom sill and cut the proper angle into the bottom of the sill with my table saw. Although the sill was pretty rotten, everything underneath was in pretty decent shape. I chipped out what little bit of bad wood was there and poured epoxy all down in there to stabilize everything before gluing and nailing the sill back on top of it. The only place we have here for molding is Home Depot and as this house was built in 1946, of course there was nothing that would match. So I cut out all the rotten part as best I could up into good wood. Then I filled everything with Durham's rock hard putty and sanded the profile of the stop molding and the trim molding into the putty after it had set up hard a couple days. It was only 2 to 3" worth and I think once it's caulked, primed and painted it'll hold because there was a good hollow in there where the putty could mash up in and get a good hold. We'll also probably be replacing all our windows soon, so if it holds a couple years, it should be good.

I did think about tearing out all the old trim and replacing everything, but as it's laid into ceramic tile that I'm guessing was installed when the house was built, I could see a small project turning into a VERY LARGE project, if you know what I mean! :) I don't want to open that can of worms until we're ready to remodel the entire bathroom, tear out all the old ceramic tile, fixtures and everything.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Interior paintwork on exterior walls has [ 1 Answers ]

I purchased my top floor flat in a Victorian building and painted over the (refurbished) magnolia coloured interior walls. 2/3 years down the line the interior paint on the exterior walls has blown and erupted. Have treated it for damp/effervescent salts but stilll it keeps erupting! Any ideas...

Exterior/interior plans [ 4 Answers ]

I am still having trouble - is this right? It seems to easy to be true. Reynolds Construction Company has agreed not to erect all “look-alike” homes in a new subdivision. Five exterior designs are offered to potential home buyers. The builder has standardized three interior plans that can be...

Interior & exterior snaps [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, sorry for not writing for so long.. my house is under construction.. tell me on which website ill get some beautifull photos of interior as well as exterior designs...

Interior and Exterior Painting [ 15 Answers ]

I am just starting a painting business and I'm trying to figure out how to charge for painting for example a mantle or cabinets. I know wood cabinets will need a primer and two coats of finish. Also on how to charge for windows that have several rows of mulls that need to be painted like a 4 over...

View more questions Search