Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    torontoblake Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 28, 2017, 02:12 PM
    How likely are creditors to sue for $800 debt? (Ontario, Canada)
    Hi,

I am from Toronto Ontario living under ODSP (disability). I am currently in a consumer proposal due to credit card debt. I am paying $100/month for $5000 balance. Couple of months ago, I caused damage to a rental car for which I had no insurance purchased. They have billed me $800 and I am not able to pay this so I have ignored it. I am keep receiving letter from creditor (Credfax) that if ignore their demand to pay within the next 5 days, they may take me to court. They were initially threatening it will affect my credit score. How likely are creditors take you to court for this amount of debt? And can they do anything if my entire wage is through disability?
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Feb 28, 2017, 04:54 PM
    They usually wait and take a bunch to court all at once. It's cheaper for them that way, but they add all sorts of legal fees to your bill, and get an automatic judgment against you for a much larger amount.
    There is no SOL once they get it, so you can't just hope that the years will erase it.
    They have to bill you before getting a judgment, but not after.
    Of course it will kill your credit score! What did you think? If you have a credit card, you will lose it.

Disability is not 'wages.' No, this kind of debt cannot be taken from your check. Some kinds, like child support or taxes, can, in amounts proportional to the total you receive.
    Just hope you never win the lottery or get an inheritance.

Remember that you are taking money from all the rest of us by your way of looking at debt.
    torontoblake Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 28, 2017, 05:12 PM
    For sure I understand but I do think there is an amount limit to who they take to court
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Feb 28, 2017, 05:54 PM
    Some people say that. But a lot changed after the recession of 2007-8. Suddenly old, old debts by the thousands were brought back up and pursued.
    Feel free to think what you want.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Feb 28, 2017, 07:26 PM
    For car rentals, most take everyone to court. They have in-house attorneys who as noted file dozens if not 100's at one time.
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Mar 1, 2017, 07:43 AM
    Collecting debts, big or small is a BIG business, and plenty of collectors are out there with all kinds of tricks to make you pay. From harassing phone calls to freezing your bank accounts, and more, so my answer is yes, they will try to collect by any means necessary.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How long does a Landlord have to sue a former tenant (in Ontario, Canada)? [ 1 Answers ]

I believe the Ontario Tribunal has a limit of one year from the incident to take action through the tribunal... is this correct? Regarding a civil suit... how long does a landlord have to sue a former tenant for damage in the landlord's home? If the tenant was not evicted, but moved out himself...

Debt collection in Ontario, Canada [ 1 Answers ]

We are a California based company attempting to collect in Ontario Canada. Can anyone share their experience getting licensed in Ontario?

Debt problems for Ontario, Canada. [ 1 Answers ]

I need some advice on how to deal with this. I owe a university 6000 and they have sent it to collections, I owe dell 4,000 for two computers, 600 for a credit card, and my bank account is down by 900. I have been outside of Ontario, Canada since August, 2007. I have had some unexpected emergencies...

Debt collection in ontario canada [ 1 Answers ]

Is there a time frame that a company has to come after you about a debt? I am being asked to pay immediately a debt from a college in 1999. Do I have to pay this, and if not, how do I go about it.?

View more questions Search