Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    arax28 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 26, 2017, 11:16 AM
    Filing jointly for full-year resident/part-year resident couple
    Hello! I'm having a problem preparing federal tax return for me and my wife. My wife is a US resident (and green card holder) for entire year 2016. She actually lived and worked in US during almost entire year. I am just recently moved to US on 11/27/2016 and got my green card. So I am generally a dual-status alien under a green card test. I didn't have any US-based sources of income, but I worked for foreign employer for entire year. According to my calculations it would be beneficial for us to file in "married, filing jointly" status, even while I have to include my worldwide income. To be able to file joint return I was planning to attach a statement that I choose to be treated as a US resident for entire year 2016. But I'm confused regarding conditions for making such choice stated in Pub.519:
    • You were a nonresident alien at the beginning of the year. - this is true
    • You are a resident alien or U.S. citizen at the end of the year. - this is also true
    • You are married to a U.S. citizen or resident alien at the end of the year. - this is true
    • Your spouse joins you in making the choice. - this is where I'm in doubt. My wife was not dual-status alien for year 2016, so she has no choice and must be treated as US resident.

So my question is: can I still elect to be treated as full-year US resident and file a joint return with my spouse?
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Feb 26, 2017, 12:56 PM
    Yes. You should attach the statement when you MAIL in the federal return (efiling is not an option for 2016, but you will be able to efile in future years).
    arax28 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 26, 2017, 04:29 PM
    AtlantaTaxExpert, thank you for confirmation!
    Senior Tax Expert

Feb 26, 2017, 04:54 PM
    Glad to help!
    IntlTax Posts: 831, Reputation: 23
    Tax Expert

Mar 5, 2017, 05:25 PM
    The statement should be signed by both you and your wife.
    Senior Tax Expert

Mar 5, 2017, 11:26 PM
    I thought I made that clear, but looking at the answers, I see that I did not.

Good catch, Intl Tax!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Filing status for resident alien but part year resident in VA state ? [ 11 Answers ]

I have question related to my Virginia state filing status as resident or non-resident or PartYearResident. I am single and lived in Virginia from 2005 to 2010 as a resident(alien). I moved out of VA on June 2010 to my home country i.e India and donot plan to go back USA. My stay in VA in 2010...

Am I Full Year resident or part-year resident or something else [ 1 Answers ]

I was transferred to CA in Jun 2009 from India (I am on L1 visa). Now I am filing state tax for 2009 and there are two options California residency 1) Full-year resident 2) Part-Year resideny I am not sure which category I belong to, can any one help? Thanks in advance

Part year non-resident or full year non-resident? [ 3 Answers ]

I lived in IN from August 2004 until 6th December 2008 (Int'l student status), so filed Indiana state taxes until 2007. I moved to CA on 7th December 2008 and started working there on 5 Jan 2009. I received moving expenses from the company in Dec 2008, and a W-2 showing the income and CA state...

View more questions Search