Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    EWJIII Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 26, 2017, 10:00 AM
    After installing the piercing valve is it supposed to be open to allow the water to p
    Having installed the saddle and piercing valve am I supposed to open the valve
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Feb 26, 2017, 10:13 AM
    Did you close the valve all the way and pierce the pipe? If so, open the valve. Saddle valves are not approved by many local codes as they are prone to leakage as they age.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Feb 26, 2017, 12:09 PM
    Yes, now you open the valve if the other end is connected to what you are adding.
    drtom4444 Posts: 3,282, Reputation: 145
    Ultra Member

Feb 27, 2017, 07:43 AM
    I always remove the valve after piercing the copper line and drill an 1/8" hole where the line was pierced and deburr the hole with a pocket knife and light sandpaper in order to allow enough water to pass. When you re-install the saddle valve turn the valve clockwise almost all the way out so you center the needle in the hole, then tighten the screws equally, but before fully tightening the screws loosen the needle valve to avoid pushing the needle too far in the hole. You should be able to control the water flow after it's fully tightened down. They make several other ways to add another water valve and line that work much better than a piercing valve. Sometimes you will not have enough water flow to get an ice maker to work correctly, but if you use a tee to install the new line the water flow is much better.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Hot water valve for washer open but no water [ 2 Answers ]

At the washer, I disconnect both hot and cold lines feeding washer. There is no hot water coming out of wall at washer. Rest of house is fine. I have a 13 yr old gas water heater in Phoenix, it is summer now. Could water heater be showing first signs it is about to fail? Again, rest of house...

Hot water zone valve sticks open [ 0 Answers ]

My mother is in an assisted living facility and is having a problem with her hot water heating system in her room. After not getting any help from the maintanence man, I'm trying to diagnose the problem without taking anything apart. Observations. The room has its own thermostat and a Honeywell...

What is CA code for installing a check valve at water meter outlet? [ 1 Answers ]

I need to know what CA plumbing code calls for if I am installing a check valve on the outlet side of my water meter.

No Hot Water After Installing New Shower Valve [ 7 Answers ]

My firend just bought a older home and wanted his bathroom redone. After gutting the bath, removing the old shower valves, replacing it with a Price Pfister single valve I noticed when checking for leaks that when I turned on the shut off valves to the shower that the entire house lost it's hot...

Installing hot water shut off valve [ 2 Answers ]

I bought a ball valve to install a shut off on my hot water heater. However, it says that it is for LP gas. Will it work for water also?

View more questions Search