Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Feb 26, 2017, 08:42 AM
    Does Freedom of Religion mean that I can BE Jew one day and BE a Christian the next??
    Hello:

To clarify, my question is NOT whether a religion would accept my conversion, but whether the GOVERNMENT would?

In other words, if I'm a Muslim, and they're stopping Muslims at the border, can I convert to Christianity on the plane, and then convert again to Islam in my car on the way home?

excon
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Feb 26, 2017, 09:03 AM
    Assuming you mean the US government, of course you can. There are no identity papers that you are required to carry that specify what the government believes your religion is. What's your point? You think any self-respecting practicing Muslim would do what you suggest? If the situation was reversed, and you were traveling to, say, Afghanistan, if asked at the border would you swear to being a Muslim?
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Feb 26, 2017, 09:48 AM
    Good morning, excon:

That strategy can work AGAINST you. What if you THINK and even were TOLD they're stopping Muslims at the border, so you say you're a Rastafarian, but in fact they're really stopping Rastafarians?

WG
    paraclete Posts: 2,706, Reputation: 173
    Ultra Member

Feb 26, 2017, 02:52 PM
    Obviously you are a muslim you are lying about your religion
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Feb 26, 2017, 03:37 PM
    Or you can be both at the same time. OF course the US is not stopping Muslims, they are stopping people with certain nationality, no matter what their religions are.
    paraclete Posts: 2,706, Reputation: 173
    Ultra Member

Feb 26, 2017, 08:22 PM
    Yes all those dark, swarthy, big nosed ones
    tomder55 Posts: 1,742, Reputation: 346
    Ultra Member

Feb 27, 2017, 08:59 AM
    The answer is that if they've already gotten visas /green cards etc. then there is no need to change religion ,they've already achieved their objective . If they haven't then the issue is irrelevant because 1. as far as I know there is nothing in the eo or the revised one that has a religious preference and 2. because if they haven't received proper documentation then the laws and constitutional rights of Americans do not apply. So 'freedom of religion' becomes a moot point .
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Feb 27, 2017, 10:01 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ebaines View Post
    Assuming you mean the US government, of course you can. What's your point?
    Hello:

My point was a lot more mundane than that, and I'll get to it in a sec..

But, what prompted my question is NOT the interrogation of NEW COMERS, but the interrogation of US citizens who happen to be Muslim.. You are aware by now, that Muhammad Ali Jr and his mother got detained at an American airport and asked about their religion... I'm OUTRAGED by this incident..

But, on to more mundane things... In the joint, they have a Kosher kitchen.. Interestingly, everybody in the joint IS a Jew.. Not buying it, the administration set up a religious TEST and put the prison Rabbi in charge.. Now, I dunno WHY the administration didn't understand the Constitution, but I happen to be familiar with it.. So, when it came my turn to prove my Jewyness, I told the Rabbi that I had NO INTENTION of proving what my religion was to the federal government. He knew that was a Jewish thing to say, so he passed me..

In a nutshell, is it LEGAL for an Evangelical Protestant to CONVERT to Judaism every day about lunchtime, and then convert back?

excon
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Feb 27, 2017, 11:11 AM
    Yes! Lunch, or any other reason is a legit reason to convert to whatever religion you choose! That's YOUR business and right! As to the Ali thing... I'm outraged too!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Is the term Jew a religion or people? [ 2 Answers ]

Asaalamu alaykum My question is the quran says that prophet Ibrahim was not a Jew yet sheik ahmed deedaat said in his lectures that most prophets were Jew. What I don't understand is that is the term JEW a religion or people?

Is it necessary to convert religion if hindu girl marrying christian boy [ 6 Answers ]

I am a hindu girl and I want to marry Protestant Christian boy. To marry him is to compulsory to convert to christianity? Or we can follow our own faith?

Is it okay in the Christian religion to kiss before marriage? [ 14 Answers ]

I am curious.. I am 14 and I have a pretty serious boyfriend.. Haha, that sounds stupid. But I really want to know if it is against Christian religion (Assembly of God) to kiss him. I want to but then I don't want to because I don't want to do bad.. PLEASE HELP!

Freedom? My quick though for the day. [ 18 Answers ]

This will be short and sweet, just a quick thought that occurred to me whilst driving yesterday... Isn't it interesting how we live in the land of the free, yet almost all of our major employers have, or are threatening to move to communist China due to our harsh regulations, and China's lack...

Jew/christian marriage [ 4 Answers ]

I read somewhere that if a Jewish women marries a non-Jewish man, the children are considered Jewish. I was wondering if this is automatic or do the children get to choose for themselves when they are older.

View more questions Search