Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    DanPatrick10 Posts: 134, Reputation: 5

Feb 24, 2017, 05:31 PM
    84 Datsun Nissan 300ZX Turbo High Idle
    Engine idle for this model car is supposed to be 700 rpm plus or minus 50 rpm. When I first purchased this car, I noticed the engine idle speed was too high. It was idling around 1400 rpm. I made some adjustments, replaced the Air Regulator, and had a new gasket put in for the Idle Air Control Valve (IACV).

The most I have been able to reduce the idle speed is down to 1000-1100 rpm. I haven't been able to get it to normal idle speed. I have made every adjustment and performed every diagnostic procedure according to the FSM. When that failed, I tried swapping the ECU. That didn't work. Then I tried swapping the IACV from a car with a known working IACV. That didn't work either.

I have exhausted all of my options from the FSM and from what I know about working on these cars? I would appreciate any further advice or information from someone who has a lot of experience with engine performance on these cars.
    TxGreaseMonkey Posts: 16,761, Reputation: 5597
    Uber Member

Feb 24, 2017, 06:22 PM
    Installing a new OEM IACV should solve the problem. Stay away from aftermarket IACVs--they are notorious for causing idle problems. Clean the passages while you are at it.

Feb 24, 2017, 06:35 PM
    Thanks TX, but the M/T IACV is NLA. :( The 300ZX is a dying breed. Searched high and low; can't locate one from any auto parts supplier i.e. ROCK AUTO, NAPA or CARQUEST. Sometimes I see them on eBay, but I'm cautious about buying a used one from eBay or the junkyard. The only one that may be available is for the A/T and I'm not sure that would work. I'll try cleaning the passages tomorrow since I have it off the intake manifold.

One thing I noticed is the IACV from the 84 had a spring inside it, and the one I swapped off the 85 did not. Obviously it didn't make a difference though since the idle speed didn't change.

Feb 25, 2017, 01:23 PM
    Update

I cleaned and lubricated the throttle plate stop and IACV. There was a lot of tar, grease and oil deposits in there. Reinstalled IACV components and ran engine long enough for ECU to relearn the idle.

It worked perfectly! The engine is now running between 750-800 rpm. I don't need a new IACV after all. Thanks Tx, you really are a hero!

Attachment 48718

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

84 300ZX Turbo High Idle [ 8 Answers ]

Vehicle is a 1984 300ZX Turbo 3.0L V6 manual. The engine idles too high. It idles at 1400 rpm and a MT turbo should idle at 750-800 rpm. Used FSM to perform diagnostic procedure and driveability test. Manually set the idle speed by adjusting the engine speed screw on the side of the A.A.C. Also...

01 7.3 turbo turbo spins at idle makes no bost [ 0 Answers ]

Truck dogy at take off turbo does non seem to make boost

Nissan 300zx turbo will turn over but not start? [ 1 Answers ]

I have a 87 Nissan 300zx turbo- runs good & has been inspected by a Nissan dealership within the last 4 months- no issues. I tried to start it this morning and it will turn over with a lot of power, but will not start. I was running low on gas, in fact my gas light was on, but the light has been...

1985 Nissan 300ZX Turbo Running Rough [ 3 Answers ]

OK, I've had this car for 5 years and it always ran great. Did regular oil change and tune-ups. The car began running rough a few months ago and has also been difficult to start, so I got it a tune-up and a new battery but the problems still exist. First, it's hard to start when cold. I've got...

1985 300ZX Turbo Running Rough at Idle [ 3 Answers ]

I've had my 300ZX for almost 5 years and it has never given me any trouble. I change the oil every 2500 miles, use the proper(NGK) plugs, clean the filtercharger, and had the fuel injection service performed. Turbocharger was rebuilt around 65k and exhaust system was redone around the same time....

View more questions Search