Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    xtiancaz Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 24, 2017, 05:38 AM
    If (a,b,c) are pythagorean triples such as a^2+b^2=c^2 then prove a^3+b^3+3ab>c^3
    If (a,b,c) are pythagorean triples such as a^2+b^2=c^2 then prove a^3+b^3+3ab>c^3

Blocked on this for the past hour

I understand they must be positive numbers

Clearly c>a and c>b

but and thinking answer around with using (a+b)^3=a3 + 3a2b + 3ab2 + b3

or
    (a+b+c)^3 = a^3+b^3+c^3 + 3(a+b)(b+c)(a +c)

but can't find the trick. Anyone can help? Thanks!

ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Feb 25, 2017, 07:28 AM
    Check your formula - it is incorrect. It works for the Pythagorean triplet 3,4,5:

but not for the triplet 5,12,13:

EDIT - I wonder if the correct formulation of this problem should be to prove that:

?? That would be a breeze (and applies to ALL triangles, not just right angle triangles with integer sides).

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

The Pythagorean Theorem [ 2 Answers ]

The Pythagorean Theorem gives the relationship between the sides of a right triangle. The following identities show the relationships between the trigonometric functions of a particular angle. sin^2 θ + cos^2 θ = 1 tan^2 θ + 1 = sec^2 θ 1 + cot^2 θ = csc^2 θ Why then are these referred to as...

How & what do I need to prove to win custody? [ 5 Answers ]

I have currently filed a custody case in the state of MD against my husband. As it stands now with our current order, I have sole physical custody with joint legal custody. He has visitation rights. The reason why I left and why I have filed for custody is due to his excessive drinking and two...

Prove Pythagorean Identity and area of the triangle using diagram. [ 11 Answers ]

Prove the Pythagorean Identity using a diagram? And also prove that Area of triangle = a^s sinC x sinB/ 2 Sin(B+C)?

Pythagorean triples? [ 4 Answers ]

Never used this site so bear with me :D Ok a question from my schoolbook: Which of the following sets are Pythagorean triples? Im pretty sure I got the first three right but not sure how to do this one at all:

Pythagorean theorem [ 4 Answers ]

I am having trouble doing a word problem. I know I am supposed to use the pythagorean theorem but I just can't figure it out. Please help! The problem goes like this: A guy wire of length 50 feet is attched to the ground and to the top of an antenna. The height of the antenna is 10 feet larger...

View more questions Search