Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jo1scooby Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 19, 2017, 10:05 AM
    Running toilets
    Hi we have a problem that is driving us mad please can anyone advise!
    We had 3 toilets 2 upstairs 1 down and all 3 are constantly running water. Our water pressure is very low so water company says it is low because the toilets are running and we need a plumber to fix all the toilets!
    Now at this point I'm not convinced as firstly why would all 3 toilets have an issue at same time also if this was the case it wouldn't have happened intermittent previously and now constant for over a month? We have tried turning water off under our sink everlasting times whilst running the taps to let any air out (advice from water company) but nothing changes.
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Feb 19, 2017, 10:58 AM
    For now don't worry about the why, but focus on fixing the constant toilets running situation. Hopefully that's your problem, though I suspect you have blocked lines or cartridges also. Would help with knowing what kind of valves and floats in your toilets, because I have seen hard water build up/deposits wreck havoc with water pressure.

One way to dig down on this problem is turn off all the water supply to the toilets, and break the cold water line under a sink to see if you have full pressure before your sink fixtures. Make sure your house water valve is fully open as well as any shut off valves.

A good handyman or plumber can guide you through this and determine what the real root cause is. It may be as simple as things went unnoticed because it was happening slowly until it finally reached failure point. Sounds like you have called your water supplier as major leaks in the system will certainly ave everyone not just you without good water pressure. Talk with your neighbors!

These links may help,

https://www.angieslist.com/articles/...e-my-house.htm

Leaking Toilet or Low Pressure | Pawtucket Water Supply Board

4 Ways to Troubleshoot Low Water Pressure - wikiHow
    Milo Dolezal Posts: 7,192, Reputation: 523
    Plumbing Expert

Feb 19, 2017, 01:16 PM
    Check water pressure first. Pressure should not exceed 55 psi. If higher than 55psi - reduce pressure down to about 45-50 psi

Second, lift lid and look inside tank. See if water overflows over the top of the overflow tube. Water level should be about 1/2" below the top of the overflow tube. If water overflows - replace Fill Valve

Thirdly, if water level is below the overflow tube and water still runs, look in side the toilet bowl and see if you can notice running water. Here, look closely. It may be hard to see clean water slowly running on white porcelain surface. We sometimes even use food coloring liquid to see it running ( we put few droplets of food coloring into toilet tank and watch for leaks inside the toilet bowl ). If water runs from tank inside the bowl - replace flopper

Hope that helps

Milo
    jlisenbe Posts: 5,019, Reputation: 157
    Uber Member

Feb 19, 2017, 06:45 PM
    Is water running into all 3 toilets steadily (hard to imagine) or is it a relatively slow leak in each toilet that results in water running occasionally into each toilet for a few seconds (more likely)?

This might help you out.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G25lcYXaWCM
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Feb 20, 2017, 06:42 PM
    The water company is blowing smoke at you, a running toilet does not lower your pressure any more than turning on a faucet. When the tank is running do you see the water level reaching the top of the overflow tube inside the tank? This could also be a bad flapper or flapper seat. Both of which can be changed for about $20 if you do the work yourself. I would not call a plumber or handyman until you have a better idea of which is your issue. They charge by the hour so why lrt them be a paid detective

The water company is blowing smoke at you, a running toilet does not lower your pressure any more than turning on a faucet. When the tank is running do you see the water level reaching the top of the overflow tube inside the tank? This could also be a bad flapper or flapper seat. Both of which can be changed for about $20 if you do the work yourself. I would not call a plumber or handyman until you have a better idea of which is your issue. They charge by the hour so why lrt them be a paid detective

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Sounds like water running, but no taps are on (toilets, faucets, outside hoses). [ 1 Answers ]

Inside the house, especially in two of four bathrooms, sounds like water is running to an outside tap. Not loud, but you can hear water moving through pipes. However, no taps are on, toilets are not running, no discernable leaks, outside taps not on. What could it be? When I shut water off to...

Why does one of my toilets have PEX running from the bottom of tank to wall instead [ 19 Answers ]

Hi... I had the line from the toilet tank to the supply shut-off at the wall replaced and they did not replace with the usual stainless bendable hose, but a narrow tubing called PEX. Also used the same under sink from shut-off valve to up into the fixture. I though PEX was only used inside of...

I have two toilets in my house. Recently both toilets have stopped fininshing flush [ 1 Answers ]

I have two toilets in my house and recently both have stopped flushing completely. Flush starts fine, but at end of flush toilets power seems to stall out. This system is on city sewer service, and until past week or so both toilets were fine. Now I am forced to flush toilets up to three times to...

Running toilets [ 1 Answers ]

I have three bathrooms and whenever you flush the toilet in one bathroom the tolet in the other bathroom runs. It also does it when you turn the water on in the bathroom sink. It only does it with the downstairs bathrooms. What is going on?

Running Toilets [ 7 Answers ]

Hello, I have two running toilets in my home. They both started running within days of each other. The problem is the float assembly. I keep adjusting the float and the water stops, but the next time it is flushed it will run until I again adjust the float. Could the toilet tabs I use be the cause?...

View more questions Search