Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    pupuliina Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 19, 2017, 02:03 AM
    Problem with understanding qualitative research and work motivation
    Hi,

I'm doing a course of qualitative research methods and for that course we need to submit a research plan. I'm studying work motivation of highly-educated employees in corporate jobs and originally my intent was to study the specific extrinsic and intrinsic motivators by using Herzberg's motivation-hygiene theory as a basis.

However, when I presented this to my professor, he said that my approach is more quentitative than qualitative and I cannot use it for our course. When I tried to ask for reasoning, he simply laughted at me and said that I haven't understood anything from his course then. This was of course very humilieting for me as it happened in front of our whole class so I don't want to discuss about the topic with him anymore. However, I still have a problem as I don't understand why I cannot study extrinsic and intrinsic motivation with qualitative methods... Can someone explain this for me?

Moreover, I might change my topic to focus more on the process theories of motivation. Do you think that I could study motivation processes of highly-educated employees in corporate jobs with interpretive analysis from semi-structured interviews?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Feb 19, 2017, 08:39 AM
    I would say your teacher was being honest. Herzberg's motivation-hygiene theory deals with positive and negative factors within the work place and does not deal with the individual person.

You need to be looking at the social, religious, racial, and other individual factors of each employee and how those factors affect the work place.

What are some qualitative research methods?

The three most common qualitative methods, explained in detail in their respective modules, are
    Participant observation, in-depth interviews, and focus groups. Each method is particularly suited
    For obtaining a specific type of data.

Participant observation
    Is appropriate for collecting data on naturally occurring behaviors in
    Their usual contexts.

In-depth interviews
    Are optimal for collecting data on individuals’ personal histories, per-
    Spectives, and experiences, particularly when sensitive topics are being explored.

Focus groups
    Are effective in eliciting data on the cultural norms of a group and in generat-
    Ing broad overviews of issues of concern to the cultural groups or subgroups represented.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Research work in maths. [ 4 Answers ]

I have a big problem. I really don't know, how topic of research work I choose? I want to write in math. Can you help me? I really need some research work in maths. Please, send me some of yours works.

I need a finance topic to do research work in PG [ 9 Answers ]

I am doing Master in commerce, I have a dissertation programme at end of the semester, I can't select a topic based on finance / investment. Help me to select a valuable topic to do like research work .

What is holitisc marketing? How could it can drawn under for research work ? [ 1 Answers ]

I am trying to do a reach in Holistic marketing ,but it contain four models ,but I am little bit mantle to get start it ?

View more questions Search