Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    catonsville Posts: 894, Reputation: 91

Feb 16, 2017, 01:39 PM
    Plumbing Question
    I have a 10 year old Hot Water Heater, it is installed in my 2nd Home. It has had power applied to it maybe 2 weeks per year. The water, I know is very stale and needs to be flushed each year. The HW Heater is on city water in South Carolina. Is the rotten egg smell a sign that the anode or tank should be replaced? Other than the egg smell it heats and runs good.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Feb 16, 2017, 04:00 PM
    It could be the sacrificial rod or a bacterial build up. Drain it with fill inlet closed. Add 5 cups of bleach via the rod hole which you are going to remove anyway to inspect. If the rod is heavily corroded replace it and install a new one. Fill the tank with not heat and let it sit for 12 hours and then drain it. Now refill and flush for 30 minutes. Flush means open the drain but let the fill valve open to continually refill.

Feb 16, 2017, 04:29 PM
    Thanks very helpful.
    Mike45plus Posts: 230, Reputation: 27

Feb 16, 2017, 06:31 PM
    Canton,
    I prefer to use hydrogen peroxide to neutralize water heater odors, it is much safer than bleach - 1 pint for each 20 gallons of tank capacity... I also suggest shutting the power to the water heater during long periods of inactivity - you may also want to consider replacing your sacrificial anode rod with a powered anode rod...
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Feb 21, 2017, 09:00 AM
    Do you have the Sulfur Smell from cold water?

Feb 21, 2017, 04:51 PM
    I was only there for a day and a half and since we do not drink the water, I am not sure. Plan to go back down in a week or two and will check. Mainly, we are used to well water and from the get go did not like the taste and for 20+ years only drink water we fill at the Grocery store in Gallon jugs.
    Milo Dolezal Posts: 7,192, Reputation: 523
    Plumbing Expert

Feb 22, 2017, 08:52 AM
    What kind of plumbing do you have ? PEX, Galvnaized, Copper of PVC ?
    Just curious

Milo

Feb 22, 2017, 04:29 PM
    Copper to the water heater. As far as I know only the hot water is nasty right now.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

A Plumbing Question [ 3 Answers ]

If, I were to install a Hot Water Heater to be used in the Summer and shutoff my Oil Burning Furnace, what would be the most economical way to go? Electric, Propane or stay with my existing system. Would I install 40 gallon Tank or go larger? Presently, only one person using and would shut off in...

Plumbing question help [ 2 Answers ]

Is it normal for a sump pump to run for up to 30 min on a day its not raining?

Plumbing question [ 4 Answers ]

I live in a manufactured home in a community. Four months ago new water meters were installed and the following month my water bill went up 500%. I have checked all pluming underneath and inside the home, all faucets and toilets everything is dry and in working order. I have heard back-pressure...

Can I ask a plumbing question [ 1 Answers ]

I have had a smell in my bathroom for 4 weeks, it seems to be coming from behind the sink. It is getting on my throat. I have had the environmental health people out & a plumber but no answers.

Plumbing Question [ 1 Answers ]

My toilet is not clogged but when flushing it gurgles and will not go down.

View more questions Search