Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    KLL1212 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 16, 2017, 10:21 AM
    Clogged shower/tub drain
    Shower n tub backed up. Used potent liquids from plumbing store without success. This is my handicap BR that I put in several years ago. Washroom which backs up to this BR & 2nd BR next to it working fine. Cannot afford high plumber $ due to disabled. If I got the trap lid off can I put something down that?
    Milo Dolezal Posts: 7,192, Reputation: 523
    Plumbing Expert

Feb 16, 2017, 11:07 AM
    You could use Draino or similar drain cleaning product. However, you should still have it snaked as Draino is a temporary solution and doesn't clear all blockages. I suggest you contact local handyman. Handymen charge less and can do the job

Hope that helps

Milo
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Feb 16, 2017, 12:42 PM
    I gave up chemicals long ago, and just do the snake from various locations depending on the blockage. A dependable handyman is worth his weight in gold for homeowners that cannot do it themselves. I would ask friends and neighbors who they use to get you started.

It sounds like a blockage that's fairly close (local) and may not be too bad just some hair balls in the P trap generally found behind the drain stopper lever in most standard set ups.

Here are a number of videos to show you what's involved

https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...n+shower%2Ftub

Fingers crossed 8D
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Feb 16, 2017, 04:03 PM
    You can plunge a tub if you can seal the overflow with a wet towel. Plunge with pulling stroke not pushing down

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Bath tub won't drain and not likely clogged [ 1 Answers ]

Bath tub suddenly stopped draining completely. Removed the trip lever assembly and still would not drain. Don't believe it possible to any type of clog as worked fine yesterday and sudden stop. We did just have a snowstorm but temps are not that low. How do I know if the draining pipe is frozen of...

How to unclog freezer drain tubeGE Model TCD18 Bottom Mount freezer clogged drain tub [ 1 Answers ]

GE MOdel # TCE18 bottom mount freezer refrigerator has water running down back wall forming ice forming on floor of freezer. How do we access the clogged drain tubes

What is the best pumping method for a clogged shower & tub? [ 4 Answers ]

My drain field from my septic system has failed. While I'm working on gathering funds to get it replaced, my family and I need to take showers, wash clothes etc. The septic tank is fine. I've been using a sump pump in one of our showers which the family all shares and it worked great, I could...

Tub drain clogged [ 4 Answers ]

Muddy water is flowing into my tub - I plunged the tub and the muddy water drained out but as soon as I start running the water, tub clogs up with water (not mud) Do you know what could be causing this? Thanks. Cassie

Shower drain clogged [ 1 Answers ]

About 2 weeks ago I had a new water heater installed . There was calcium visible in the copper pipes when the installer cut the lines. After he installed the heater the tub and shower valve in one of our bathrooms stopped working. I tried to remove the valve to clean it out but could not get it...

View more questions Search