Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    SAB123 Posts: 685, Reputation: 94

Feb 16, 2017, 09:16 AM
    How sync external hard drive to WMP
    Through out the years I have been burning my cds and down loads to an external hard drive through WMP or copy and paste directly to ext HD. About a month ago my ext HD crashed. I have know backed up my music I have from other ext HD's to a Seagate for main ext HD. How to I sync the new hard drive to windows media player I've pressed sync with device and it say I cant. I would like to see all albums again with album covers. I would put everything in C/ drive but my music collection is very large about 1 TB. Any solutions to this problem.
    Scleros Posts: 2,165, Reputation: 262
    Hardware Expert

May 12, 2017, 09:19 PM
    Under Library options, the folders WMP monitors for media files can be adjusted. Add a path to where the music is located on the external drive and wait for everything to be ingested. The default RIP path can likewise be adjusted to point to the root music folder (or otherwise) on the external drive.

Sync syncs to portable players and such.

As your music library grows, you might be interested in external RAID (redundant array of inexpensive disks) enclosures (Example: Icydock ICYRAID or ICYCube) that use multiple drives to protect against a single drive failure (and recovery hassle). RAID 1 uses two or more drives to mirror data across all drives. RAID 5 uses 3 or more drives to stripe data across all drives.

You can start with two mirrored drives and add drives as needed for capacity or performance. I have my music library on a 4 drive RAID 5 array in a full tower chassis backed up to a large esata connected drive in an Icydock enclosure that sits on top of the tower. I rotate two backup drives in the enclosure. I use Acronis Trueimage software for backup. The RAID functionality is provided by an old Intel D945PVS motherboard. One caveat: if built-in motherboard RAID is used vs. a dedicated RAID add-in adapter, a motherboard failure then requires replacement with a similar motherboard supporting the RAID used on the failed board.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

To upgrade a ps3 is it possible to use a new hard drive and external drive bay? Thanks. [ 0 Answers ]

... is it possible to use a new hard drive and external drive bay instead of using a external hd to transfer data? Thanks in advance.

I've moved the contents of my C: drive to my external hard drive. No OS found. [ 1 Answers ]

I was having some problems with my cpu usage so a friend told me to empty out my c: drive onto an external hdd. I did and it worked. But an hour later it shut down and when I tried to start it up it said no OS found. Is there any way to get it working again? I don't have a windows 7 CD to...

Music will not play in WMP from WDMy book hard drive... [ 1 Answers ]

I have a Western Digital My book 500GB hard drive that I store all my music and such on... Until today (as far as I know) I was able to play the music and such just fine in windows media player... But today am trying and it keeps saying that WMP cannot find the files, or that they have been moved...

USB External Hard Drive (drive connect problem) [ 7 Answers ]

After connecting my external hard drive to a usb port. Assigns to a used drive F. to get to the ext hd I have to disconnect F then I'm able to open the ext hd. How can I get the ext. hd to go to the next available drive letter or can I assign one?

View more questions Search