Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    070007562 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 15, 2017, 04:21 PM
    Concerned about dry socket
    I recently had my the top and bottom wisdom teeth extracted one the left side of my mouth and a couple hours after, I decided to change the piece of gauze I was told to clamp down on, so I slowly pulled out the gauze pad and when I looked I saw what looked like blood clot, maybe 1/3 of a pea size of dark black jelly stuff. I didn't know what to do so I called and they said changing the gauze every hour is okay. 2 hours and the clot dislodged, I haven't eaten or pulled on a straw or smoked I just commuted home and it just came out with the gauze pad.
    I'm hoping I'm right, can another blood clot form if a clamp down on some gauze for a few hours?
    I read it takes 3 days for dry socket pain to kick in but by then it'll be the weekend so can I ask my dentist to take a look and pack the hole tomorrow without looking high maintenance?
    I didn't smoke the day of and don't plan to unless this things has healed but I read it puts me at a higher risk, what should I do, will I get dry socket?
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Feb 15, 2017, 05:42 PM
    Yes you will have dry socket. The clot is there to help heal and protect the delicate nerve endings left after the tooth is extracted. Forget about yourself and just call the dentist so he can repair the damage you have caused by removing the gauze. Any pain you will feel can be handled by an anti inflammatory OTC.
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Feb 16, 2017, 09:00 AM
    'I called and they said changing the gauze every hour is okay.' What did they say this morning?
    You should be swishing gently with warm salted water frequently, plus every time you eat or drink anything but water.
    Expert

Feb 16, 2017, 02:14 PM
    Unless you want a lot of pain and discomfort; and this is professional advice, go back to your dentist and have him re-pack the tooth. Rinsing your mouth with salt water is an excellent idea, but not swishing, which amounts to using a straw to drink water after a tooth extraction. Using salt water after an extraction should only be done gently by holding the salt water in your mouth and spitting out gently. Repeat another time.
    current pert

Feb 16, 2017, 03:30 PM
    tickle, I had no idea that you are or ever were a professional in oral surgery. I happen to think that my oral surgeon's advice is more current with the times. And I said swishing gently, not sucking.
    You advised that he 'just call the dentist' when he had called the dentist. You also told him that he will have dry socket. You don't know that. And that he had 'damaged' the socket, and that the dentist would have to repair it. You don't know that either.
    070007562 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 16, 2017, 06:11 PM
    They asked if was still oozing blood and it isn't then receptionist told me not to panic for today and to follow the instruction about a salt water rinse (to gently sip then tilt my head side to side so it gets everywhere and then let it dribble out, no spitting. The spit was a little rusty looking) and I did that. She kept saying if a took all the precautions and left the initial piece of gauze in for the recommended hour I shouldn't worry but I'm going to go in tomorrow and ask them to talk a look before I have to go through any pain or lose an time to getting a dry socket. I
    Expert

Feb 17, 2017, 04:04 AM
    Joy, when the blood clot is lost in a tooth extraction, dry socket develops. The blood clot is there to help heal and protect the nerve endings left after the extraction. The pain comes from the nerve endings being exposed. I know this because I worked for an endodontist many years ago in his surgery. I you object to me using 'professional advice' then I am sorry. I have worn many 'hats' throughout the years, and most of them have been related to health care.
    current pert

Feb 17, 2017, 04:09 AM
    a) dry socket is not a given
    b) much has CHANGED in oral surgery
    Expert

Feb 17, 2017, 04:38 AM
    Dry socket complications are blown out of proportion anyway. It all depends on ones pain threshold.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Dry Socket, Or Not? [ 3 Answers ]

I had all 4 wisdom teeth removed one week ago. Everything seemed to be progressing well. I began to get food lodged in these bottom sockets quite often.. mostly spaghetti-o's or noddles from chicken noodle soup. So, I have been eating soft foods even a week after. I would swish violently...

IS This a dry socket? [ 6 Answers ]

I had my wisdom tooth out on a tusday bottom left one. It hurst just a little and I'm bleeding a little almost fading away.. and I want to know if this is a dry socket can some one please help me

What is a dry socket [ 1 Answers ]

Hi I had a tooth removal it was the right bottom last tooth... it was abcess prior to this I was prescribed antibiotics, before the tooth removal and then back to have it removed a month later. The tooth site where the tooth removed was looking like it was healing now it has like a white inside the...

Dry Socket [ 2 Answers ]

So I just had my wisdom teeth out Tuesday.. and I had 2 dry sockets by Friday and both were filled in and feeling better.. I was just wondering when I can smoke again? I took a light drag of one last night and seemed to be all right.. and one more question after you get rid of a dry socket, can you...

View more questions Search