Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    gcolt73 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 15, 2017, 01:22 PM
    Removing hot water cylinder
    Hi there. We have bought a house that was converted to instant hot water but the old electric cylinder is still in the laundry cupboard. We would like to permanently remove the cylinder to free up some space, but id like to double check how to go about doing this. The cylinder has one copper pipe coming from the top (I presume hot water output to the house, now redundant) and a pvc pipe in from the bottom (I presume cold water input) The pvc pipe comes through the wall on the right and there is a valve where it comes through the wall. Then there is more pvc connecting to an elbow heading upward to a tap which looks like the drain for the cylinder, and just before it enters the cylinder is a second valve. Am I right to assume I can simply shut the valve nearest the wall and then unbolt everything west of this (including the copper pipe on top) and pull the cylinder out? Will this valve be sufficient to shut off the water supply permanently? Thanks heaps in advance
    creahands Posts: 2,854, Reputation: 195
    Ultra Member

Feb 15, 2017, 02:18 PM
    If you can supply a picture would be great.

Before removing any pipes from the hot water heater make sure that all the water is removed. There should be a drain cock near bottom of the heater. It will be threaded for a garden hose.

Check to see if the valves are in the off position. It would advisable to shut off the main water and remove the valves and cap the pipes. This will help keep the error of them accidentally being opened

Chuck
    gcolt73 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 15, 2017, 03:55 PM
    Name:  20170215_184957.jpg
Views: 108
Size:  478.4 KBName:  20170215_184957.jpg
Views: 108
Size:  478.4 KBThanks mate, I've uploaded a picture (I think) of below the cylinder and will try get one up of the line at the top

Name:  20170215_185015.jpg
Views: 109
Size:  651.6 KB

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

No hot water? Hot water cylinder not filling? [ 0 Answers ]

Hi I'm staying a friend's holiday house and there is no hot water. The only instruction I have was to turn the hot water cylinder on at the wall. http://s29.postimg.org/5enowyumv/photo_2.jpg http://s29.postimg.org/ctd0pcgif/photo.jpg

Can I bypass my cold water storage tank to feed my hot water cylinder with mains wate [ 1 Answers ]

Can I bypass my cold water storage tank in my attic to feed my hot water cylinder with mains cold water to make the pressure of my mixer shower better??

Connecting a new hot water cylinder [ 6 Answers ]

In connecting a new hot water cylinder the male coupling connector to the tank for the cold water inlet pipe has a small leak - is this simply due to insufficient PTFE tape or should there be a gasket for the male coupler (it has a small flange to match the outer face of the cylinder internal...

Hot water cylinder [ 1 Answers ]

Can my hot water cylinder be relocated to my attic in order to free up useful cupboard space?

View more questions Search