Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    catonsville Posts: 894, Reputation: 91

Feb 15, 2017, 01:51 AM
    Ground Fault Interupter Required by Code?
    Is a GFI required for a New Heat Pump and Electrical Box attached to the side of the House?
    Located in South Carolina.

Also:
    While I am at it, due to non-testing or use of GFI units do they go bad from inactivity? They are 15 years old and rarely have anything plugged into them.
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Feb 15, 2017, 09:59 AM
    You mention an "electrical box" - do you mean an outlet? The heat pump itself isn't required to be on a GFI circuit, but any exterior outlets should be GFI-protected. If the outlet has a built-in GFI with the "push-to-test" button you should test it to make sure the GFI circuitry is still working. The GFI circuitry won't go bad simply due to lack of testing, but if you don't test it then you won't know whether the GFI still works or not. In my experience outdoor GFI outlets last about ten years or so, then need to be replaced, but it really depends on how well it's protected from the elements.
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Feb 15, 2017, 02:31 PM
    We need a little more info on "electrical box". Heat pump does not require a GFI, it requires a service disconnect at the unit. Now, IF someone ran an extra cable and put an outlet there, then the outlet needs a GFI. At our mountain house, I have a service disconnect for the AC, not a heat pump, and right next to it is a GFI outlet. For about 10 years or so, NEC has required a house main breaker outside, usually in a combo meter box. That way, emergency responders can kill power outside. I have seen the AC breaker in there along with a GFI breaker for some outside outlets.
    stanfortyman Posts: 5,598, Reputation: 279
    Electrical & Lighting Expert

Feb 15, 2017, 03:01 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ma0641 View Post
    For about 10 years or so, NEC has required a house main breaker outside, usually in a combo meter box. That way, emergency responders can kill power outside.
    This is not an NEC requirement. It's probably a local code amendment.

Feb 15, 2017, 03:03 PM
    This is a report from my home inspection and I am having trouble with c&paste of the photo and the words of the report. Will work on it, can copy the words but the photo's are not cooperating.

Feb 15, 2017, 03:12 PM
    SUMMARY
    Electrical
    SERVICE BOX, GROUNDING AND PANEL \ Distribution fuses/breakers
    5. Condition: GFCI Tested Faulty
    *A Ground Fault Circuit Interrupter (GFCI) electrical breaker in the exterior auxiliary electrical panel of the home failed to respond. This condition is a potential hazard for shock/electrocution.
    *The Inspector recommends correction by a qualified electrical contractor.
    Location: Right Side Exterior Wall-Auxillary Electrical Panel
    Task: Further evaluation
    Time: Immediate

I got the wording now to get the photo. If I can't I will try to describe it This box is being powered out of the side of the box containing the Meter that is supplying power to the house. The box has a 220 v breaker and another switch that I am not sure what it does. Thought I had the photo but when I hit the submit button, it went to numbers and then it disappeared. Not a puter whizz by any means. Sorry.
    Uber Member

Feb 15, 2017, 10:01 PM
    Stan, Could be a GA code, all houses in GA for a long time have main breaker shut off outside.
    Uber Member

Feb 15, 2017, 10:06 PM
    Looks like you have an outside panel and a slot with a GFI breaker. Not uncommon. Appears breaker may be faulty. It has a white test button on it and apparently it did not trip. Easy DIY job, shut off the breaker supplying the panel and go from there. The 240 breaker may be for your heatpump.
    stanfortyman Posts: 5,598, Reputation: 279
    Electrical & Lighting Expert

Feb 16, 2017, 05:26 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ma0641 View Post
    Stan, Could be a GA code, all houses in GA for a long time have main breaker shut off outside.
    I heard that about the southeast and the west. As far as I know California even has their loadcenters outside.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Ground fault protection [ 3 Answers ]

I have a customer who wants to remove his ground fault protection from his switchgear main breaker and rely on the ground fault protection on his service entrance transfer switch leaving the generator unprotected. Is this legal for a public office complex?

Line to ground fault [ 5 Answers ]

This is electrical probulum

Ground Fault Interupters [ 1 Answers ]

Why so GFIs require a separate neutral for each one?

Ground Fault [ 1 Answers ]

I wired my garage a year ago. Now all of a sudden I had a ground hot reverse alternating to normal in my outlets and my lights stop working properly. I rewired all the outlets and the it went away until I went to turn on a light. Then it went back to ground hot reversed. I had a buddy come over and...

Groun fault interupter defective [ 1 Answers ]

I had coffee pot overflow and it looks like some of it may have entered a GFI plug. Now all on that circuit will not reset. Could this require that I replace the plug?

View more questions Search