Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    catonsville Posts: 894, Reputation: 91

Feb 14, 2017, 04:56 AM
    GFI Question
    I have a Ground Fault Interrupter in the Kitchen and Bathrooms. They were installed in 2006.
    When they are tested they do not trip off. I have an outside light, which is switched off because a tree branch keeps turning the light on. Could this switch being turned off cause the
    GFI's to not trip properly?
    donf Posts: 5,679, Reputation: 582
    Printers & Electronics Expert

Feb 14, 2017, 05:07 AM
    No. How are you testing the GFCI for the OFF condition?
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Feb 14, 2017, 06:53 AM
    If you are pushing in the "test" button, you may not be pushing it in far enough. If you are pushing it in far enough to trip and it doesn't, the GFI is bad. Best to use a circuit tester with a GFI test button.

Feb 14, 2017, 07:55 AM
    Had a home inspector who used a tester and it apparently did not trip using it.
    Just thought it could be a switch inline with the GFI may have prevented it from doing what it should have.
    donf Posts: 5,679, Reputation: 582
    Printers & Electronics Expert

Feb 14, 2017, 07:59 AM
    The counter GFCI receps. In the kitchen should not extend beyond the kitchen - dining room.

The only way a switch could interfere with the operation of the GFCI receps. Is if it is on the supply side of the GFCI circuit.

Feb 14, 2017, 09:09 AM
    Did a little reading on GFI's needing to be tested monthly. These have been in for at least 10 years and more than likely not even having anything plugged into them for more than a week per year. Will check them when I get down there this week.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Gfi question [ 1 Answers ]

I had a gfi and plugged a small heater into it and it popped. It took out all the power in the bathroom. I took out the old gfi and the power popped back on. I went to replace the gfi with a new one and the power went out again after I hit the side of the power box with the new gfi. Now I...

Can hook up a 110v gfi breaker of one leg ogf a 220v 50 gfi [ 3 Answers ]

I have a 50 amp 220 v gfi hooked up to my hot tub, I ran a 110 v 10 amp gfi off one leg for the underwater light just for extra safety, is this safe to do? I have heard on TV that you can not run 1 gfi off another. Or is this just pertaining ti wall outlets?

Outlets on my GFI don't work but GFI is working [ 7 Answers ]

I have one plug in the garage and one out door plug that are not working. I have reset my GFI plug and the GFI plug is working however the other two plugs are still not working. Should I replace both plugs or is there something else going on? The GFI outlet itself has power. The test and reset...

OK to replace a 20A GFI with a 15A GFI? [ 1 Answers ]

I have two GFI outlets in my kitchen. I am replacing them w/another color. The new color are only available in 15A, while the ones I am replacing are 20A. The only thing I plug into them are toasters, coffee pots, and mixers... not sure if the lower amp has anything to do with the ground fault...

Two Single Pole GFI's = one Double Pole 220v GFI? [ 6 Answers ]

Hello there, Installing a pool motor, 220v hayward northstar two speed. Could not find a double pole 40 amp GFI, electric supply store recommended two single pole 20A GFI's sharing a neutral? Does this make sense. I have a 40amp double pole in the main feeding the sub via the sub panel...

View more questions Search