Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    pastor1189 Posts: 1,538, Reputation: 3
    Ultra Member

Feb 13, 2017, 05:14 PM
    Thinset Mortar
    Tile guy told me he would need 4 bags 50 Lbs each of thinset. Mortar to do a 12x12 bedroom.
    isn't that excessive?
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Feb 13, 2017, 08:10 PM
    Try using this How to Estimate Grout & Thinset for Ceramic Tile | Home Guides | SF Gate A lot depends on the coverage chart on most bags and the size of the tile you are using. Large tiles use deep notched towels. If you only use 3 you can take back the 4th if its unopened.
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Feb 13, 2017, 09:03 PM
    That seems a bit high but depends on the tile size. You nave 144 sq. ft. 36 tiles per bag. Typically need a 10% cushion. Believe me, it's better to have and not need it than not having it.
    pastor1189 Posts: 1,538, Reputation: 3
    Ultra Member

Feb 14, 2017, 02:53 AM
    Okay thanks a lot.

Thanks

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Bath tile floor-Forgot to put down thinset before cement board &Mortar mix ratio? [ 2 Answers ]

I put down 1/4" Durock Cement Board on a new 3/4 plywood subfloor for my bathroom after the toilet leaked onto the original particle board and it rotted. We found that out after my wife put her leg through it! (how in the world particle board even meets code requirements is beyond me) I screwed...

Thinset thickness [ 10 Answers ]

Can thinset be applied too thick so as to cause a problem with cracking tile?

Thinset mortar thickness [ 0 Answers ]

Can thinset be used to cement driveway pavers? Will it withstand the weight of a car or truck over a period?

What kind of thinset or mortar do I need to install Slate tiles? [ 5 Answers ]

I'm wanting to install multi-color Slate in my basement and I'm not sure what adhesive or thinset to use. The floor are concrete of course. Also, do I need to seal it before I grout it so that the grout cleans up better? One more thing. Do I have to anchor the piece that goes down between the tile...

View more questions Search