Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Riaan Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 13, 2017, 09:35 AM
    Should I ground my solar installation
    Should I ground my solar installation using the same ground spike I use to ground my Amateur radios? If lighning strikes the solar panels, won't the strike run down to the spike and then back to my radios?
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Feb 13, 2017, 02:04 PM
    Are you certain the current ground rod is good, according to code? If lightning strikes it follows the least resistance which is to ground, not your radio.
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Feb 13, 2017, 03:20 PM
    I agree with ballengerb1 - if the ground rod is properly installed based on the type of soil you have there should be no concerns. However, be sure to double check the grounding instructions for both your amateur radio installation (I assume you mean grounding for the antenna steel) and the solar panel installation to make sure you are in compliance - for example they may have limits on lengths of wiring to their ground rod(s).

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Solar Installation [ 1 Answers ]

I am installing a solar generator on my house. I've been granted a permit from the powers that be, but I have a question or two I am not sure of. I only have one spare slot in my panel and do not want to gang wires together to free up space or upgrade the service. Would it be a code violation...

Above ground Solar Panel Pool heaters [ 4 Answers ]

Has anyone had any experience with these 20 ft. solar panels (not solar covers) for heating above ground swimming pools? I have a 21ft round pool that gets full unfiltered sun from morning to night without any trees in the area. I am looking into a heater but a gas or electric seems a little...

Ground Rod Installation [ 4 Answers ]

I am installing a concrete patio 20'x18' over the area where the ground rod is currently installed. If I relocate the ground rod, what is the maximun distance from the main panel can the ground rod be installed?

Above-ground pool installation [ 2 Answers ]

I have recently purchased a Muskin 18' round above ground pool from a friend; however, the instructions on the pool assembly can not be found. She didn't install the pool so she can't provide any advice on taking the pool down. I have searched the internet extensively for instructions with no...

View more questions Search