Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ardent61jp Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 11, 2017, 07:56 AM
    How to get my own electric meter with coned
    Electric and gas expense are part of my rent. How do I get my own accounts and meters so I can track my own expenses?
    donf Posts: 5,679, Reputation: 582
    Printers & Electronics Expert

Feb 11, 2017, 08:04 AM
    I don't understand your question.

If you are in an apartment complex, then you should already have your own service and the apartment complex should have a separate meter for all common areas.

If you are renting a duplex unit, the same as above is true.

However, if you are renting part of a home that has been renovated to have an apartment, then it is a bit dicey because there can be only one meter for a residence.

The cost of reworking the electrical system may far outweigh the existing set-up, unless the area you are renting is a stand-alone unit as in a "Mother-In-Law" home.

I would talk to the landlord and the utility company.
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Feb 11, 2017, 08:37 AM
    That is something you discuss with the landlord, and utility company.
    creahands Posts: 2,854, Reputation: 195
    Ultra Member

Feb 13, 2017, 11:47 AM
    If the gas and electric are part of your rent and is a set fee there is not much you can do.

If the rent fluctuates from month to month then you should discuss this with your landlord to get a copy of bill with your rent tab.

Chuck
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Feb 13, 2017, 05:20 PM
    First there may or may not be separate meters. One of my duplex houses just has one meter and I charge a certain rent that covers electric, water, trash and so on.

So first you need to talk to the landlord and see if there are separate meters to start with. Then you discuss a new rental agreement where you pay the electric and gas yourself. Then you call up the provider and change it to your name, normally paying deposit and sometimes a hook up cost.
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Feb 20, 2017, 07:48 AM
    Years ago, I have added a second meter to show power consumed by 1/2 of a Duplex.
    You read the Main Meter, Subtract the reading of the second Meter, you can determine who used how much.

Sitesage has Inductive coils you place around each wire at the breakers, You can easily monitor How much Electricity is used Remotely with Their App. Also displays a Graph showing how much each individual circuit is used and at what time.

https://powerhousedynamics.com/indus...age-for-homes/
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Feb 20, 2017, 10:14 AM
    Bottom line here is you need to talk to the landlord and the utility. You have to get permission from the landlord and pay the utility for the installation.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Demand Electric Meter [ 4 Answers ]

My electric billing rate is based on my time of day usage and my monthly peak demand. My electric meter is an older style that uses dials to indicate power usage. It also has a digital display that doesn't display anything meaningful. It appears that there is a port on the front of the glass...

Electric Meter how to use [ 4 Answers ]

I a have a lot of electric testers. I have one that looks like a screwdriver Using a led bulb. It has a red and black probes. I know how to use it in an outlet. But what about just a wire, how do you test the wires themselves to see if one of them is hot. Do you take the probe on the wire and...

Noise from electric meter? [ 12 Answers ]

I just moved into a condo I'm renting for a month and the first two nights were fine, but on the third night I was awakened by a low humming sound. It actually woke me up. I had no idea what it was and checked the clock, the light, etc. I realized the sound was coming from the wall behind my bed....

Multipliar 80 electric meter [ 2 Answers ]

Do I pay more on my electric bill by having this multiplier 80? Why do I need it? I recenty bought a commercial building and we want to live in half of it. It's 4,875 sq.ft. Now the electric bill is too high. It increased with winter, using roof heat pump system. Was told these are very inefficient...

Are electric meter sided? [ 6 Answers ]

In other words, given a socket box, does it matter which of line or load is connected one side or the other of the meter? Regards --Campagne

View more questions Search