Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    pteemee Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 12, 2005, 12:12 PM
    Refrigerator
    What actually happens to a refrigerator if it is laid on its side or back ? Is that a myth or does it ruin it?
    caibuadday Posts: 460, Reputation: 10

Mar 17, 2005, 03:59 PM
    laying down the frig
    ,, well the oil inside the compressor with move around; then when the compressor is running... cant' compress liquid == damage compressor... damage or not depend how long it is stand up after it was laying on its side or back... I think the same thing also apply to room AC; I saw a lot of ac laying on their side
    kp2171 Posts: 5,318, Reputation: 1612
    Uber Member

Jul 27, 2005, 08:19 PM
    What caibuadday said.

Have I moved a fridge on its side? Yes, it was free and I had to put it on its side by my transportation availability and moving deadline. Did it ruin it? no.

can it do damage? My understanding is yes.

The oil in the compressor can flow into the cooling lines when the refrigerator is tipped onto its side. The oil may not completely drain from the cooling lines when tipped back up and the refrigerator may not cool.

You can try to avoid laying it completely flat by tipping it to an angle by placing a sturdy support under the top of the fridge to help keep the oil in the compressor. Also, there are several lines connected to the compressor. The cooling and discharge lines should be oriented to face up. You must keep the oil out of these lines. Laying the refrigerator over with the tubes facing up will minimize the risk of fouling the lines.

When you're done moving it, leave it upright for a few hours before plugging it in. This will give the oil an opportunity to flow back into the compressor.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Water in refrigerator [ 1 Answers ]

You have answered this question for several models. Can you tell me how to inspect, clean whatever the freezer drain on magic chef refrigerator model # cbt2123AR Thanks.

Refrigerator doesn't get cold [ 3 Answers ]

I have a magic chef refrigerator. I can hear it running, but it doesn't get cold in either the fridge part or freezer. It doesn't make ice cubes, but I can see frost building up in the back of the freezer part.

Another Refrigerator Question [ 8 Answers ]

Our refrigerator had been collecting water on the top shelf and not cooling well. In reading answers on this site, I found the blocked drain in the top of the fridge and cleared it. After turning it back on, everything seemed fine. It's a Kenmore, top freezer, 6 years old. Two days later, and...

Refrigerator [ 1 Answers ]

Hello I have a haier refigerator that the fan don't work model #is HTE10WNAWW. SERIAL# IS K2001000326. IS THAT A SOMETHING I COULD DO MYSELF OR HIRED A PRO. THANKS

Refrigerator [ 9 Answers ]

Is there a way to degrade/destroy a refrigerator to the point of replacement without any truly visible signs of sabotage? I know this sounds crazy, but I need a new refrigerator from the landlord.

View more questions Search