Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    aaknutsen Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Feb 8, 2017, 11:05 AM
    Broken plate math problem
    I was wondering if it was possible to help me with finding different difficult methods to finding out the circumference and diameter of a broken plate if you only have half. I have used a method using perpendicular bisectors to find the middle of the plate and than times by 2 two get the full diameter. I also plan on using pythagoras theorem.. Are there any other methods I could use? :)
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Feb 8, 2017, 12:05 PM
    With a round plate, If you have 1/2 of the plate, you have "r". What would ," d" be? Formula for circumference is? X "d". Unless your plate is square, Pythagorean theorem won't work.

Feb 9, 2017, 03:31 AM
    Hi, thank you for your help on that.. I need possibly further methods I can use though, exactly for that purpose.
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Feb 9, 2017, 04:46 AM
    I assume that you don't really mean 'half' a plate? That would be too easy.

https://www.geogebra.org/m/m97sTNZH (click on solution boxes)

I have a feeling you have done this. I don't know of any other ways.

Feb 9, 2017, 11:06 AM
    I do mean half of a plate..

It is this problem here: http://mathforum.org/pow/teacher/samples/MathForumSampleGeometryPacket.pdf

I mean I need help in more ways than what is desrcibed in the website above. I need methods such as creating equations and so on if that is possible...
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Feb 9, 2017, 01:39 PM
    That does not deal with half a plate, but a broken piece of unknown fraction of the whole. The typical 'broken plate' problem.

http://mathforum.org/pow/teacher/sam...etryPacket.pdf

I posted the link again because most responders here won't open links. It's OK.

My link was a good one. What don't you like about it?

Feb 9, 2017, 02:26 PM
    Thank you for replying! Well yes, I don't mean a perfect half of a plate obviously, that would be too easy.. I am very unfamiliar with geogebra as I am unsure how it can help me with finding different methods I can use.. This is on me of course. I thought that the program was just used for creating a visual representation of math problems.
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Feb 13, 2017, 11:25 AM
    I think you are using the best approach, if I understand you correctly. As the site that Joy referenced explained, you draw two chords across any portions of the edge of the plate, then draw perpendicular bisectors of those chords. The point at which those two bisectors intersect is the center of the circular plate. Then measure the distance to the edge to get the radius.

You can do all this mathematically with equations. The process would be:

1. Select points A, B, and C. My advice would be to establish a coordinate system that makes these points "easy" to deal with, but it doesn't really matter.

2. Determine the slope for Chord 1 (connecting points A and B) and Chord 2 (connecting points B and C).

3. Find the midpoint of both chords. The x-coordinates of the midpoint of Chord 1 is the midpoint between the x-coordinates of points A and B and the y-coordinate of the midpoint of Chord 1 is the midpoint between the y-coordinates of points A and B. Use the same process to find the midpoint coordinate of Chord 2.

4. Determine thee equations of the bisectors of Chord 1 and the bisector of Chord 2. The bisector runs through the midpoints that you just determined, and the slope of each bisector is the negative reciprocal of the chord it bisects (that's' why we needed to find the slope if the chords in step 2). Using the form y = mx+b you have values for x, y, and m, so you can solve for b.

5. Determine the point at which the two bisectors intersect.

6. Calculate the distance from that point to either A, B, or C using the Pythagorean theorem. It doesn't matter which point A, B or C you pick - all three should yield the same distance from the center. But to check your work I suggest doing this calculation with at least two of these point, if not all three.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Broken bottom denture plate? [ 2 Answers ]

I got a full set of , same day dentures back in 2011. Up until recently they have been pretty good to me. About two weeks ago I clenched my jaw and the bottom denture plate cracked. I got home and took them out just to have the crack, and pressure used trying to ease them out made them crack in...

License plate math [ 1 Answers ]

If you have a 6 digit license plate, how many ways can you make a plate with the numbers or letters in any spot? How many ways can you make one with the first two digits to be letters and the last 4 digits to be numbers? (no repeats) How many ways can you make one with the first three digits...

Broken plate mirror wall, need solutions [ 1 Answers ]

The long dining room in my condo has opposing walls of glass; one has a patio door, the opposite wall has a 4 panel wall of floor-to-ceiling mirrors. The 2 mirrored panels on the left of the wall are broken beyond hope of repair. Underneath the mirrors is a white brick, you can see it through the...

I'm Stuck: broken screws holding bathtub drain plate [ 1 Answers ]

I have run into a problem trying to fix the mechanism in the bathtub that catches hair that otherwise might clog the bathtub drain. This is a Kohler product. I removed the round knob that moves the drain up and down. Then when I went to remove the brass screws that hold the plate underneath...

View more questions Search