Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jljl Posts: 37, Reputation: 1

Feb 7, 2017, 09:11 PM
    Door plate discoloration
    Hello,

Is there any way to fix the discoloration of my door plate? The previous owner said she was trying to clean it and probably used some invasive chemical.

I have called many stores but no one is willing to custom make just one door plate so I am unable to purchase a new one.

I am not sure if it is copper or brass.

Thank you.
    Attached Images

ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Feb 8, 2017, 06:49 AM
    Depends on the material. Some are brass, some are anodized aluminum, never saw copper. Brass can be repolished after stripping the lacquer off. Might just want to sand it down and spray with a gold paint.
    jljl Posts: 37, Reputation: 1

Feb 8, 2017, 02:08 PM
    Thanks. I was hoping that there's some magical product that would get rid of the discoloration, guess that doesn't exist. Cheers.
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Feb 8, 2017, 02:19 PM
    Go to a craft store, get a small can of gold spray paint. Lightly sand the metal, mark off the knobs, wipe with window cleaner, let dry and spray the paint. Couple of light coats. It will look a lot better!
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Feb 8, 2017, 06:11 PM
    That appears to be plating which has failed. You can buy a new one, paint would make it look better but it won't last very long.
    creahands Posts: 2,854, Reputation: 195
    Ultra Member

Feb 13, 2017, 11:55 AM
    Determine the manufacturer and get in touch with them for a replacement plate. They will be more then happy to oblige.

Chuck

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

a parallel plate capacitor is built with an area of 1.4m^2, a plate separation of a p [ 0 Answers ]

a parallel plate capacitor is built with an area of 1.4m^2, a plate separation of 0.1mm and has measured capacitance of 750nF. Determine the dielectric constant of the dielectric used to build this capacitor?

Door Striker Plate [ 6 Answers ]

The door bolt would not meet the striker plate. I extended the bolt to see where it hit; it was way off the mark. I had to chisel the door jamb. Works okay now. But now the latch plate has no wood to screw into. It must be filled in with something. Like wood dough Or what?? Works fine without...

Replacing a sill plate under an exterior door [ 6 Answers ]

Replacing a sill plate under an exterior door. I am finishing the basement in the house we recently moved to and believed that I was in the home stretch - until... I removed the last of the framing and insulation and found a section of severely rotted sill plate and rim(skirt?? ) board...

What type of plate boundary is parallel to the direction of the plate movement? [ 4 Answers ]

What type of plate boundary is parallel to the direction of the plate movement?

Repair metal name plate on door [ 6 Answers ]

Hi, There are major scratches on the name plate of my front door (please see attached) from the previous owner. It definitely needs to be replaced, but I am wondering if there's any way to restore it, or make it look better, without replacing it? I live in a condo and the strata council has...

View more questions Search