Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Heart27 Posts: 25, Reputation: 1

Feb 7, 2017, 04:58 PM
    Maybe that could work. Not sure how kindly they'd take to it. Or why they'd believe it'd help me become a better person to live someone else part of the time.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Feb 7, 2017, 05:00 PM
    You'd have new surroundings, different people to react to, pets to care for (?), be learning how to survive away from home.

Do you plan to go to college?

Feb 7, 2017, 05:07 PM
    That's true. I didn't think of it like that. That reasoning might actually work.

I no longer plan to go to college as I want to make writing my career and I don't want to bury myself in debt for a degree I don't need. However, I never updated my parents on this plan; as far as they know, my plan is still the same college I brought up months ago when they asked.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Feb 7, 2017, 05:14 PM
    Nowadays, everybody and his mother is a writer and often self publishes. You're not going to immediately establish yourself as a career writer and make money enough to live on, so you need a backup plan. What's your backup plan?
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Feb 7, 2017, 05:22 PM
    Still thinking....is there a community college in your area and easy to get to? Check it out for a two-year (associate's) degree in something or even a certificate program. Then you can be in school inexpensively, learn a trade or get credentials that will land you a job to pay the rent after graduation, and still give you time to write.

Feb 7, 2017, 05:23 PM
    It's probably not going to sound like a good plan to you, but. There's a grocery store chain that has three stores in my state. They offer dental, medical, a 401k plan, a 10% on food, and if I'm working full time, I believe enough money to support myself. My best friend is willing to get an apartment with me. Since I won't have a license, I've taken note only of apartments that will be within walking distance from the store, which is actually more than expected. I've got two each in two of the towns and three in the other. I can't get a rent estimate for all of them. The ones I do have estimates for are between $227 and $400 dollars after splitting the rent in half to account for a roommate. I've been gathering estimates for food, utilities, and other necessities like soap to be accounted for in how much I'll be making if I can work there full time. Next I'm going to find jobs also within walking distance of the apartments I've found that I can acquire without experience or by taking a shorter training program in case I need a second job to pay for everything I need. I've also made a list of everything I'll need to move out with absolute necessities bolded. I'm trying to be prepared as I can be since I want to get out as soon as it's a viable option and I likely won't be able to live off my writing for a long time if ever.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Feb 7, 2017, 05:30 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Heart27 View Post
    It's probably not going to sound like a good plan to you, but. There's a grocery store chain that has three stores in my state. They offer dental, medical, a 401k plan, a 10% on food, and if I'm working full time, I believe enough money to support myself. My best friend is willing to get an apartment with me. Since I won't have a license, I've taken note only of apartments that will be within walking distance from the store, which is actually more than expected. I've got two each in two of the towns and three in the other. I can't get a rent estimate for all of them. The ones I do have estimates for are between $227 and $400 dollars after splitting the rent in half to account for a roommate. I've been gathering estimates for food, utilities, and other necessities like soap to be accounted for in how much I'll be making if I can work there full time. Next I'm going to find jobs also within walking distance of the apartments I've found that I can acquire without experience or by taking a shorter training program in case I need a second job to pay for everything I need. I've also made a list of everything I'll need to move out with absolute necessities bolded. I'm trying to be prepared as I can be since I want to get out as soon as it's a viable option and I likely won't be able to live off my writing for a long time if ever.
    Good sleuthing! You're working at solving this. Be sure to read my post about community college.

Feb 7, 2017, 05:37 PM
    Thank you. And I did. I'm considering it. I'm not sure what I'd study, though. Other interests I have are still four-year college ones, but I also have not looked a huge amount into other careers that would give me more options and possibly more money if I could get hired. Without a license and living in a small town, I have extremely limited work options right now, so I'm not sure how much money I'll have saved up by then. I've begun spending as little as possible to maximize what I'll have at my disposal for an apartment deposit and necessities. I'd prefer to not be left with very little in case an unforeseen expense would come up, although I'm trying to minimize the chances of there being one. If I do go, paying for and being able to get to that would be another thing I'd have to take into account with my living arrangement.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Feb 7, 2017, 05:51 PM
    How far away is the community college? Does it have dorms? And a community college lets you take the basic courses much more cheaply than a four-year college does. You can transfer into one or work somewhere after you've gotten an A.A. or certificate (some aspect of medical care or business or a techie STEM thing or library tech or ????)

Feb 7, 2017, 06:03 PM
    I don't really have much interest in those fields. I'd want to figure out what I might study before I start looking at community colleges, then find one the same way I found the four-year I had originally planned to attend. I found this extremely useful search engine a few years ago, a database of thousands of colleges in the US (and some outside it) that will eliminate schools based on my must-haves, things such as locations, courses, and tuition cost.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Feb 7, 2017, 06:11 PM
    Journalism? American and English Lit? Linguistics? Psychology?

Feb 7, 2017, 06:15 PM
    English and psychology are areas of interest, but don't those require a four-year?
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Feb 7, 2017, 06:28 PM
    English and psychology are areas of interest, but don't those require a four-year?
    Again, community college is like your first two years at a four-year college--basic courses in all disciplines. Transfer to a four-year college if you are so inclined. By junior year, you decide on a major.

Feb 7, 2017, 06:30 PM
    It's a possibility. Thank you, by the way.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Feb 7, 2017, 06:33 PM
    It's a possibility. Thank you, by the way.
    This is a good thing to do. Brainstorming helps clarify your thinking. Are there others in Real Life to brainstorm with?

Feb 7, 2017, 06:40 PM
    Yes. I've finally built up a support system of friends. There are two people in particular I trust and am very close with that I go to with these things. How loyal my entire friend group is, though, became clear to me recently. As we (myself and four others) were returning home from a movie night we and a couple other friends had had, we somehow got back onto the topic of my moving out. It's more or less common knowledge amongst my friends that I have a bad relationship with my parents, although the exact details are more for the ones I am closer to. When it came up that it's likely I'll hastily pack my things and hightail it out of there when my parents are gone from the house and I have a place to go, everyone agreed without hesitation to help get me out of there when the time came. Just like that, no thinking required. It was just a given that we'd be there for each other. It's nice, even though I don't think I deserve that kind of loyalty.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Feb 7, 2017, 06:45 PM
    It's nice, even though I don't think I deserve that kind of loyalty.
    So please tell me what you need to do to deserve your friends' loyalty???

Btw, you're a good writer. Good grammar and punctuation. Good word choices. Have you written stories? poetry? essays?

Feb 7, 2017, 06:55 PM
    Be less crappy of a person, I guess. I'm depressing, insecure, hypocritical. I have drastic mood swings, I'm mean to people for no reason, and I can be incredibly judgmental despite preaching tolerance [see 'hypocritical']. I rely on them too much to keep me from completely snapping and destroying myself. I'm not a good person.

I've dabbled in poetry. I'm in a creative writing class right now and my teacher seems fond of much of my work). What I really want to do, though, is write novels. I have a few ideas for another time, and one of them I began over winter break. I've been in a bad streak recently with my mood and schoolwork, so my taking a break from daily writing in order to finish outlining the book transitioned into not doing anything at all. I have two chapters (twenty pages) done right now with a bit on the next chapter, although much of it needs to be revised as I've altered the plot as what I originally had would have been contrived.

I have written essays. I took an advanced composition class first term. My persuasive paper was a flop, but the others were A's. My 300 point research paper earned a 96%, and all the errors I had were issues with my works cited page, required factoid cards, and a bit of grammar, not the actual content.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Feb 7, 2017, 06:56 PM
    Your friends love you and support you and apparently think more of you than you do!

Are you thinking of a creative writing major?

Feb 7, 2017, 08:10 PM
    It seems that way. I still don't get it. One of my friends keeps threatening to fight me unless I "accept my awesomeness" >.<

Yes. That was my main thing while looking at colleges, a creative writing program. But I'm not sure if it's a degree worth earning for what it'll cost.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Abuse [ 3 Answers ]

Hi. I just want to know when discipline by a parent is considered 'discipline' and when it starts to border abuse. Any views?

How can a person be so abnormal to physical abuse,and sexually abuse? [ 2 Answers ]

My,cousin was missing for 2 yrs. And was on crystal meth for a long time but,she also was mentally abused,and most likely sexually abused.She is not the same anymore she lost her self being,and is always wanting sex,she steals,lies,and agrees to everything,she doesn't know who she really is...

Why does she abuse me? [ 5 Answers ]

My friend thinks it OK to hit me and make fun of me because she thinks its funny and she says that's what friens so to each other. I am really getting sick of her crap and also she acts like I can't have more than one friend like she can be my only bestie but she has tons of friends so what do I...

Abuse... [ 12 Answers ]

Hello. I'm a woman, 19. I recently came out of an abusive relationship. He'd always shout and swear at me, often calling me a "Stupid c***" when I try to prove him wrong on things. He began finding it funny to hit me. Eventually it turned too violent. I'm in love with a monster. He'd hit me often....

Abuse [ 17 Answers ]

Hi I am 18 and I am being abused. It really hurts inside and out. To all men out there you need to know you are destroying a beautiful person, distorting her reflection, sufficating her joy for life and no matter what you think your wrong.

View more questions Search