Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Cherylholtgreve Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 5, 2017, 05:06 PM
    Pets
    My golden doodle swallowed a pork chop bone, doesn't appear in any distress, should I do anything
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Feb 5, 2017, 05:07 PM
    Raw or cooked? How long ago?
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Feb 5, 2017, 05:56 PM
    The main concern is it becoming lodged. How big was it?

Another concern is splintering if it was a cooked bone, which is less likely with a pork chop bone than say a chicken bone.

Watch your dog, make sure he's pooing. If he's having issues pooing, or there's blood in his poo, or he becomes lethargic or shows signs of pain or distress, then off to the emergency vet.

Having said all of that, chances are your dog will be just fine. If I had a dime for every time my dogs got into bones they shouldn't get into, I'd be rich.

Next time, if it's a smaller bone, feed bread. This is only effective if it's done right after the dog swallows the bone. The bread coats the bone to help prevent tearing from splinters.

If it's an uncooked bone, still watch to make sure it doesn't get lodged, but no reason to worry about splintering. Some, not all, raw bones are actually very good for dogs, and should be a part of their diet.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Pets [ 3 Answers ]

I just got a 3 month old female retriever/pit bull mix and she won't walk. When we are in the yard, she is fine, stays somewhat near me, but when I put a leash on her, she won't walk. I tried putting a light chord(string) tied to her collar but she still sits and won't move. Today I dropped the...

My pets [ 7 Answers ]

Hello: Not to diminish anyone else's bereavement... but, to me, the death of a pet is as painful as that of a human family member or a dear friend... Somebody here has a signature that includes something like, the ONLY thing wrong with dogs is that they don't live long enough. I couldn't...

View more questions Search