Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mogrann Posts: 860, Reputation: 193
    Dogs Expert

Feb 4, 2017, 08:14 AM
    What does this mean? Misdiagnosed?
    Just wondering if this means I am misdiagnosed. I tend to think that I am making up my BPD and wasting everyone's time. That you are only looking for attention and that you are wasting others time. Due to this I tend to avoid going to doctors until I am in a very bad spot. I tend to also not confide everything I am thinking or feeling to others even my spouse.
    When I do share my thoughts my thoughts race about me wasting peoples time, taking up a spot that someone else could use that really needs it etc. I get more and more anxious in fact typing this out is making me anxious,
    FYI I am a DBT and Booster group graduate, I am one that it did not work for and have no other options left for me. I do see a doctor and am on medication.
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Feb 4, 2017, 04:06 PM
    mogrann, good to hear from you for such a long time. You will have to explain a bit more though; you did not seem to have this problem before. Misdiagnosed from what exactly ? Okay, please explain.

Tick
    mogrann Posts: 860, Reputation: 193
    Dogs Expert

Feb 4, 2017, 06:32 PM
    So sorry Tickle so used to using acronyms I forget not everyone knows what it stands for.
    BPD is Borderline Personality Disorder. Yes I had this problem before I just never told anyone. I hide things too well at my own expense.
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Feb 5, 2017, 04:19 AM
    Almost everyone, mogrann, is an attention seeker in different ways. So you think that seeking attention is not good. I don't mean to belittle your thoughts on this but I don't divulge a lot of my thoughts to my friend; because it is what is is, private. One always has to keep a little of themselves back that no one will ever know. That is human nature. In my line of work, I don't run into BPD. Probably why I didn't recognize the abbreviation.

I am still giving thought to your post.
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Feb 5, 2017, 04:43 AM
    I for one don't give much weight to diagnoses. They really do all overlap and blend with each other, and often change over time. Borderline is one of the more vague ones. I read a book about it years ago, and remember reading that one characteristic is that people with it are very resistant to treatment, usually because they are so good at talking their way around any effort at help and any suggestion about what's stopping them from getting through life.

I seem to recall that you were physically abused as a child? Or am I wrong? Isn't that enough for a 'diagnosis'? Doctors need one for insurance purposes as much as any reason. I wouldn't dwell on how right or wrong the diagnosis is. Not wanting to be an attention seeker is counter to what a typical Borderline person is! So either you aren't Borderline or you are going out of your way to avoid the need for attention. Don't take my word for it - just thinking out loud.

A friend years ago was told she was Borderline. She had had trauma, I think starting with her mother killing herself in front of her when she was an early teen. Her father could afford expensive treatment, and she went into a hospital where she was given a staff companion 24/7 for months. She wasn't allowed to be alone. It seemed to work pretty well. The need for attention didn't totally go away, but as tickle said, most of us are attention seekers in different ways. I think it's a matter of how much is going on inside you - how intense the need is.

Infants and small children are total attention seekers. If they aren't indulged, if they are thwarted, they never get the chance to grow out of it. How many children are fully indulged at just the right amount, just the right weaning away from it? Very very few. It's all on a wide spectrum of healthiness.
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Feb 5, 2017, 02:08 PM
    Sadly you know that we can't diagnose you, or tell you if you're misdiagnosed. If you think this may be a false diagnosis, you really should talk to your therapist about it, or get a second opinion.

I don't know enough about BPD to comment on whether you have it or not.

I hope you get some help dealing with your illness, whatever it may be. I do think that if nothing is helping then maybe it's time to ask if something else is going on. The wrong diagnosis can lead to more issues, whereas the right one could help you greatly. It's worth it to get a second opinion, in my opinion.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I believe I was misdiagnosed. What do I do? [ 8 Answers ]

Ok I was diagnosed with clinical depression when I was 11 and the more I think about it the more I'm convinced I'm misdiagnosed. You see 11 is when I hit puberty and that is when everything changed. Before I hit puberty I was thin, athletic and acrobatic. I was in great shape and people always...

Misdiagnosed Miscarriage @ 5 w 3 days, Now possible Twins @ 11 w and 5 days? [ 2 Answers ]

I was misdiagnosed at 5 weeks and 3 days by two ER doctors, they told me that there was no baby, only an empty sac and because they could not see a fetal pole or heart beat on the transvaginal or regular ultrasound that I would miscarry. They told me I had no chance, that it was not possible...

Misdiagnosed? [ 1 Answers ]

About a year ago I was "diagnosed" with RA. I currently take four different perscriptions daily. I am 22 years old. I can't say that I am sure if my doctor has diagnosed me correctly or not. I still suffer with severe joint and back pain, severe sleepiness, and my skin even hurts sometimes. Im...

Can a early miscarriage be misdiagnosed? [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, My husband & myself have been trying to conceive for many years-without success. We stopped using birth control in 2006 when I began grad school for my masters degree, in 2008 or 2009 I was diagnosed with ovarian cysts. Eventually I was diagnosed with stage 4 endometriosis.They did do a pelvic...

View more questions Search