Ask
    Drome Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 3, 2017, 03:25 PM
    Breaker Question
    Can I install 4 40amp breakers off an already existing 240v outlet
    donf Posts: 5,679, Reputation: 582
    Printers & Electronics Expert

Feb 3, 2017, 03:48 PM
    You need to seriously add more of a description if you want any help with this one.

You have one 240V (what Amp) receptacle or panelboard opening? How may conductors are in the existing circuit?

You want to put four 40 amp breakers in place of exactly what?
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Feb 3, 2017, 06:28 PM
    Based on what you have provided, no. In essence, you want us to tell you how put 160 amp load on an unknown ampacity circuit. Most homes don't have straight 240 circuits, typically 120/240. Exactly what do you have and what do you want to do?
    stanfortyman Posts: 5,598, Reputation: 279
    Electrical & Lighting Expert

Feb 4, 2017, 07:43 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ma0641 View Post
    Most homes don't have straight 240 circuits,
    Air con. Table saw. Compressor. Welder. Well. Water heater. Electric heat.

Pretty much the only 120/240V loads are cooking appliance and dryers.

Quote Originally Posted by Drome View Post
    Can I install 4 40amp breakers off an already existing 240v outlet
    Not nearly enough info. Please add a lot of detail. As you are asking it cannot even be answered. You do not add breakers to an outlet or receptacle. Do you want to use an existing line for a sub-panel?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

220v spa question: With a 50amp breaker box outside, what amp breaker is okay inside? [ 1 Answers ]

Currently, I have a 50amp GFCI breaker on the side of my house, getting juice from a 60amp breaker inside the house at the main breaker box. Is this okay or not? I have #8 wire I was going to run between the two... Here is from the electrical section of the manual: "If you have purchased a...

Main breaker question [ 9 Answers ]

My main box has 4 200 amp breakers connected together by a bar. I am wondering why there are 4, as opposed to just 2, or one ? I have a few 240v circuits, is this the reason ? Just curious...

Breaker question [ 5 Answers ]

I have a sub panel (125 Amp Main Lug Load Center) with this Siemens Q21525CT breaker (15/25/25/15 Amp). It's a quad/tandem breaker with two 25Amp breakers common trip. This 25amp common trip is for 2 duplex 220v receptacles (4 outlets) for 4 - 600 watts HID lights which equals 11 amp @ 220v and 2...

Breaker question? [ 6 Answers ]

How is everyone one doing? I am new to this site seems like there a lot of good information on hear. So I own my home. I was just curious is per say I have three 15amp breakers, Can I just swap those 15amp breakers with 20 amp breakers or do I have do do some wiring. Hence need an electrician? ...

Breaker Box Question [ 5 Answers ]

I guess it would be better to call it a fuse box... not breaker. I live in a rather old house with k&t wiring. Our box, located in the basement, has all the wiring come in from the top. At the top of the front panel there are two black pull-out things that have markings saying main and off. They...

View more questions Search