Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Williambeck Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 3, 2017, 12:13 AM
    How to keep your files save from Ransomware?
    How can I protect my files and folders against Ransomware?
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Feb 3, 2017, 12:18 AM
    Backups...
    Williambeck Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 3, 2017, 12:25 AM
    Can you please explain your word "Backup"
    Appzalien Posts: 540, Reputation: 57

Feb 4, 2017, 11:07 AM
    He means purchase a good backup program like Acronis True Image and an external drive to put the backup images on. Create full backups of your system every month or so onto the external drive. If you get hijacked you can use Acronis's recovery boot disk to restore the last Image you created. You only have to keep 3 or four previous (and the current) images, and can delete the oldest ones to save room. This will let you recover your system not only from ransom wear but also from system instability caused by corruption from a bad power outage as well as the installation of things that screw up your system. If your looking for a software solution any active anti-virus is OK but the best advise is not to visit web sites that will hijack your system, and do not click on website page links or ads unless you sure they're legit. Note that even Legit sites can be compromised.
    cmeeks Posts: 754, Reputation: 64

Feb 17, 2017, 01:51 PM
    The usual in protecting yourself from threats is still good advice here.
    1. Never run as Administrator.
    2 Always keep all software and Operating System up to date
    3. Never click links in emails.
    4. Pay attention to URLs verify that you are actually where you think you are.
    5. Configure and use a firewall either client based or on your router.
    6. Use antivirus and keep it updated.
    7. Do not download or install anything that you did not choose to download and or install.
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Feb 17, 2017, 01:54 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by cmeeks View Post
    The usual in protecting yourself from threats is still good advice here.
    1. Never run as Administrator.
    2 Always keep all software and Operating System up to date
    3. Never click links in emails.
    4. Pay attention to URLs verify that you are actually where you think you are.
    5. Configure and use a firewall either client based or on your router.
    6. Use antivirus and keep it updated.
    7. Do not download or install anything that you did not choose to download and or install.
    Unfortunately, for Ransomware the only one of these that make any difference are: #3, also applies to mail attachments from unknown sources.
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Feb 17, 2017, 02:24 PM
    I'd also keep backup copies of all important files on a USB hard drive you do NOT leave attached to your computer.

The computer can be easily replaced, your Operating system and hard drive can easily be replaced... what can not be easily replaced are your files and photos you may be saving on it.

If you keep copies elsewhere and take all reasonable precautions as mentioned above... the threat loses significance.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How can I save and print the files or data... pics and text with a broken screen cell [ 1 Answers ]

I ran over my phone on a tractor and it busted the screen. It still turns on and dials bust I have many family pics and very important text. How can I print them out?

How do I backup files I want to save? [ 1 Answers ]

I want to save itunes, norton and, someprogram for my printer how do I save them. I want to reset my whole intire laptop

How to save audio files from internet [ 2 Answers ]

How can I record songs from online radio or some other wbsites. I have istalled freecorder software even though I couldn't record it. Whenever I try to save songs, data execution prevention control of windows is in my computer blocks it.what should I do. Please help me

I want to save my data server (containing .doc, xls, pdf files ) [ 1 Answers ]

I want to save my data server (containing .doc, xls, pdf files ) from worms and viruses, specially from those that creates newfolder or subfolder exe files like, rvhost and svchossst. Many clients have already infected with these viruses, but I want to save just my server to get infected with...

How do you save music files to your PC? [ 4 Answers ]

Hi, I recently got a new phone that I can download songs onto. The program I can use to do so is Nokia PC Suite (I think), and in order to get songs is to get them from your music file list. I use LimeWire to listen to most of my music... but for some reason whenever I try to download the songs...

View more questions Search