Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Jan 28, 2017, 09:45 AM
    Is THIS the most honest 3 minutes of television you've ever seen??
    Hello:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=73_d...outu.be&t=1m9s

excon
    tomder55 Posts: 1,742, Reputation: 346
    Ultra Member

Jan 28, 2017, 01:26 PM
    It is Jeff Daniels regurgitating script fed to him by Alan Sorkin as part of a staged promo for a television show. Every nation has flaws .So pointing out America's flaws is no argument for or against it's greatness.

“We lead the world in only three categories. Number of incarcerated citizens per capita, number of adults to believe angels are real, and defense spending.” We also lead in GDP, Nobel Laureates ,patents ,number of immigrants both legal and illegal (amazing how a country that sucks so much has so many people trying to go there ).Private and public foreign aid assistance .I bet some of the nations he mentions get some of those funds ... for that matter ;how many of those nations benefit because of our defense spending ?

"We No Longer Build Great Big Things"...except the Hubble and Webb telescopes ,GPS positioning systems ,the Ivanpah Solar Electric Generating Station, the Tevatron 2 TeV particle accelerator etc ..the Freedom Tower .

"We No Longer Explore the Universe" except by robotics ;we have rovers on Mars climbing mountains . We have the Webb telescope poised to explore the edge of the universe . Cassini has over a hundred flybys of Saturn and Titan, returning specular photos and massive amounts of data. New Horizons has flown past Pluto and outside the solar system .

I could go on but you get the point.
    Athos Posts: 1,108, Reputation: 55
    Ultra Member

Jan 28, 2017, 02:06 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by excon View Post
    Hello: Is this the most honest three minutes of television you've ever seen??

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=73_d...outu.be&t=1m9s

excon
    Of course not, it's a script written for television. Any good writer can look at the failings or the accomplishments of a country and play the emotions to support either position. Hey, that's entertainment !!

You left an opening wide enough for tomder to drive a Mack truck through. Which he did. Tomder wins this one.
    paraclete Posts: 2,706, Reputation: 173
    Ultra Member

Jan 28, 2017, 03:05 PM
    Tom misses the point, entertainment it might be, but Daniels is right, you need to be inspired to fix what is wrong and to do that you need to identify it
    catonsville Posts: 894, Reputation: 91

Jan 28, 2017, 03:14 PM
    Yeah, Tom right through the middle. Para, maybe we need to see how far the swamp will be drained/
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Jan 28, 2017, 03:16 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Athos View Post
    Of course not, it's a script written for television
    Hello A:

I wasn't talking about who wrote it.. I was talking about what it said..

excon
    paraclete Posts: 2,706, Reputation: 173
    Ultra Member

Jan 28, 2017, 03:25 PM
    Yes it was obviously a set piece, but that doesn't detract from the importance of examining the facts. There has been too much rhetoric while the slide continued and went unnoticed. It is one thing to be a generous nation, it is quite another to be a foolish one to your own detriment

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Out Door Trip for 3 minutes & restart after 5 Minutes [ 1 Answers ]

I have purchase Gree Ac 1.5 Ton Its cooling very nice but after 40 to 45 minutes, out door trip, Fan & Compressor stop for 3mins & after 5 minutes its restart again and after few minutes same thing will happened Is there any problem or its standard routien running? Please guide me

My air conditioning work 30 minutes and than stop for 30 minutes [ 2 Answers ]

My air conditioning daikin models nr is.(FTY50gaval)work 30 minutes and than stop it self for 30 minutes.

The furnace runs for 15 minutes and is only off for 5 minutes. Can this be a problem wit [ 1 Answers ]

The furnace runs for 15 minutes and is only off for 5 minutes. Can this be a problem with my thermostat?

Hot Water lasts only 7 minutes and then is back in 10 minutes. [ 3 Answers ]

I recently just moved into a new place and I have had water heater problems since the first date of moving in. When we first moved in we had only about 5 minutes of hot water before it ran out barely warm/cold. We replaced it with another used hot water heater to find out that we needed to replace...

View more questions Search