Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    5quarter Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 28, 2017, 06:00 AM
    Wiring a cabinet saw
    My current wiring for 3hp tablesaw is a double 20 breaker with 12/2 with ground. Currently 45 ft run. If I need to extent to 50-60 ft, can use a junction box and continue or re-wire back to panel with 12/3 with ground? This is a residential basement workshop.
    Thanks,
    5square
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Jan 28, 2017, 10:33 AM
    The use of a double 20 amp breaker implies that the saw is wired for 240 volts.
    Three horse power is 2237.1 watts.
    2237.1 watts divided by 240 volts is 9.32 amps.
    Voltage drop calculator shows a 4 volt drop over 100 feet with 12 gauge wire at 9.32 amps.
    That is a 1.7 per cent drop well with in voltage drop limits.

Use junction box to add 12/2 with ground cable to required distance.
    Missouri Bound Posts: 1,532, Reputation: 94
    Ultra Member

Feb 9, 2017, 09:03 PM
    Why exactly would you want to use 12/3.. unless you have an abundance of it?
    Extending the circuit with the same wire is extended. The additional 5 to 15' you mention will not be an issue. Is the saw wired with a plug? If so you can leave the plug where it is and add another one at the end of your run.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Wiring Under Cabinet Lights [ 5 Answers ]

We are doing some remodeling in our kitchen and since the cabinets and the backsplash are gone we would like to install under cabinet lights. We don't want all the cables showing, so we would like to hardwire them. We have conduit in our house, not Romex. We would like to put them all on a dimmer...

Hard wiring under cabinet lighting [ 5 Answers ]

OK, I really need some help with under cabinet lighting. I posted earlier this week regarding the link below that suggests cutting the plug off the lights I bought and wiring directly to an outlet. I received a couple of replies stating this is wrong, but didn't receive any further help. If...

Under cabinet lighting wiring (undercabinet) [ 1 Answers ]

Hello all! I've just gone through every undercabinet lighting question and none are simple, easy and step-by-step for that "beginning" person. And yikes... no pictures! Let's change that! ;^) (to give respect, the best straightforward explanation on the wiring is found here.) So here are...

Wiring under cabinet lighting [ 3 Answers ]

I purchased 110V fluorescent lighting for mounting under our kitchen cabinets. The lights came with a plug. I read on a DIY website that it is fine to cut the plug off and wire directly to an outlet inside the wall. Is this true? If so, do I simply wire straight into the back of an outlet? And...

Wiring Under Cabinet Lighting Directly [ 7 Answers ]

Hi, There's a nice set of Xenon under cabinet lighting at Lowe's that can be wired directly by popping out the knockouts. So I looked at the directions and they say you can use NM or armored cable but it just doesn't seem right, or to code, to use NM, I suppose running through a hole in the...

View more questions Search