Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    123champ Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 15, 2007, 08:57 PM
    Are just two AC returns adequate for this floor plan?
    Hi,

I am building a new home, and would like some advice on getting the AC system right.

The builder's plan has just two AC returns in this 3600 sq. ft. single story house. In the floor plan link below, there is one return outside the guest bedroom, and another one in the hall outside the master bedroom.

http://aycu38.webshots.com/image/130...4062943_rs.jpg

Is this adequate? Won't the air flow get blocked if the bedroom doors are closed? Should I ask for returns in each room?

Also, the supply vent in each room is closer to its entrance. Instead, should it be closer to the outside wall, so that air would travel through the entire room before reaching the return vent?

Thanks a ton for your feedback!

- 123champ
    hvac1000 Posts: 14,540, Reputation: 435
    Heating & Air Conditioning Expert

Apr 16, 2007, 06:41 AM
    Call a qualified heating contractor. Your 3600 sq ft will need better RA's and other mods.
    JackT Posts: 260, Reputation: 19

Apr 16, 2007, 12:43 PM
    I hope they don't put one big unit in for your entire house. A house this large should have at least two units, maybe one for the bedroom areas and one for the rest of your house. This way you can set the temperatures higher or lower when no one is in these areas. You can't have to many return airs but you don't need one in every room. Two units will also allow you to have some cooling if one of them breaks down.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Tile leak from 3rd floor through 2nd floor ceiling (bath) [ 5 Answers ]

Hi All: We renovated our third floor bathroom which included stripping the floor down and installing tiles (1" squares within 1' blocks). After our 3rd floor tenant takes long showers we get some leakage through her floor and thusly through our ceiling (which we now have partially open to have...

Can you file joint Federal returns and separate State Tax Returns [ 1 Answers ]

We lived in different cities so can we file joint federal returns and separate state returns??

1st floor ceiling leak below 2nd floor shower [ 2 Answers ]

Our ceiling has developed a swelling or bubble in the ceiling and when touched-it literally fell apart and created a hole. It is dry to the touch but happens to be right in line with our 2nd floor master bedroom shower where the plumbing probably comes down. The shower has a plastic floor with a...

2nd Floor, Floor drain backing up with water in restroom [ 1 Answers ]

I have a second floor restroom at my workplace and there is a little bit of water backing up and some sewer gas smell. There is rarely anything that goes down that drain but there is a little water in it that I can see. Also it seems that the urinals in the same restroom are draining very slowly....

Hot Cold Mix not adequate [ 2 Answers ]

Second question in a day... sorry, but I have been wondering about this for some time. My house is 3 years old, and has Delta fixtures in the showers. I am not sure how to properly say this so, here goes. It's one of those typical entry level home, builder installed things where there is only one...

View more questions Search