Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Fsher21 Posts: 21, Reputation: 1

Jan 23, 2017, 07:05 PM
    Kenmore Canister Vacuum Intermittent Suction Loss
    I have an old Kenmore canister vacuum model 116.2497582. While in use the motor intermittently changes tone to a higher pitch that results in at least a 50% suction loss. Sometimes it will correct itself in a couple seconds, other times percussive maintenance can be applied and that will stop the problem. The motor noise is higher pitch and different than the noise from suction being blocked. It sounds more like the motor has no load on it.

This vacuum is older than I am so the motor brushes were the first suspect, but they appear to be in okay shape. A little discoloration on one brush and the metal around it, but it still looks like they both make good contact. All the wires seem intact and the motor spins freely so I am at a loss to what could be happening here. Could someone please guide me in the right direction as to what might be my problem? It would be a shame if this exploratory surgery became an autopsy.
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Jan 23, 2017, 07:46 PM
    Dose the motor shaft rattle around in the bearings?

Jan 23, 2017, 11:56 PM
    No, there is no play at all.
    drtom4444 Posts: 3,282, Reputation: 145
    Ultra Member

Jan 24, 2017, 10:50 AM
    Any time the route through the vacuum is blocked it will reduce the load on the fan blades, due to its design, and it will spin faster. You need to disassemble the unit and clean it out. Make sure to clean the fan blades, too. Look for any filters that could be clogged, as well. I'm sure you will find the source of the problem. Be sure to oil the motor.

Jan 24, 2017, 12:27 PM
    The problem can come and go in a split second so blocked suction has already been ruled out. The filter material in the exhaust area was very dirty along the edge but at least 75% was open. While I was in there, I oiled the motor and it seems to move better so that may have been the problem. I will report back once I can test it.
    drtom4444 Posts: 3,282, Reputation: 145
    Ultra Member

Jan 24, 2017, 05:04 PM
    Vacuum cleaners have backward curve fans (a furnace uses a forward curve fan, in contrast) which build up very high pressure down from fan causing the motor to load up, whereas, if the restriction is toward hose end the motor unloads and speeds up. You can hear this when you cover the end of the hose

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Dyson DC07 Has very poor suction when trying to vacuum carpet - $400 P.O.J. [ 2 Answers ]

:mad: When I am vacuuming the carpet I can feel debris hitting my feet, that vacuum is not picking up well at all. I have checked for obstructions and there are none, I can feel the end of the hose in the head and there is suction there but it doesn't pickup well across the floor bar. What's the...

Which canister vacuum is the best? [ 5 Answers ]

My eureka vacuum cleaner went bad. Actually I have two. One is close to 20 years old and the other that quit is about 10 years old. I need to purchase a new one. I am looking at the electrolux, which I understand eureka purchase that company. What is your opinion on vacuums. I really want a...

Kenmore Canister Vacuum Cleaner Parts [ 1 Answers ]

Switch in handle is not working properly. Where can I buy a switch for a reasonable Price?

Black & Decker CA1440 Canister Vacuum Bags [ 1 Answers ]

Cannot find bags for B&D Vacuum Cleaner. Model CA1440. Can anyone help? Ed Rice

View more questions Search