Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mpallen Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 14, 2017, 08:41 AM
    Motorcycles: aftermarket master cylinder
    Aftermarket forward controls. The rear master cylinder bowl has 2 holes. The rear hole is about 1/8" in diameter. The front hole is very small does the diameter of this hole matter in the overall function and safety of the master cylinder operation
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jan 14, 2017, 10:18 AM
    I emailed my mechanic brother who has owned and worked on motorcycles for years. I'll post his answer when he responds.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jan 14, 2017, 01:34 PM
    My brother responded --

Not enough info .... brand of bike, year, modifications that were done, bike or trike, independent master cyl for front and rear or done in tandem ... starting point anyway
    mpallen Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 14, 2017, 05:12 PM
    Rigid panhead with Jaybrake 5/8" rear m/c for 4 piston rear caliper. sent m/c off for chrome, and the plater put some stuff on the bowl holes ( I guess prevent them from getting plugged up), and the front hole is plugged. The hole is about the size of a hair or the smallest diameter cleaner pin in a welding tip cleaner set. However, because of the depth of the bowl, anything small enough to fit in the hole is too fine and flimsy to withstand the pressure to push it through. Tried solvent, high pressure air; no luck. Thought about boring hole to 1/32 or 1/64", but don't know if enlarging the hole would compromise the function of the m/c.

Rigid panhead with Jaybrake 5/8" rear m/c for 4 piston rear caliper. sent m/c off for chrome, and the plater put some stuff on the bowl holes ( I guess prevent them from getting plugged up), and the front hole is plugged. The hole is about the size of a hair or the smallest diameter cleaner pin in a welding tip cleaner set. However, because of the depth of the bowl, anything small enough to fit in the hole is too fine and flimsy to withstand the pressure to push it through. Tried solvent, high pressure air; no luck. Thought about boring hole to 1/32 or 1/64", but don't know if enlarging the hole would compromise the function of the m/c.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jan 14, 2017, 06:05 PM
    Emailed him with this added info. (Thanks!) Will post again with his reply.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jan 15, 2017, 11:51 AM
    Reply from my brother:

For sure the port needs to be larger. Only X amount of fluid will go thru the port because it still has the diameter of the brake line to limit the fluid flow. There should be some type of seat for the attaching brake line. So as long as that isn't compromised you should be fine. Common sense rules.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Master cylinder [ 5 Answers ]

OK, guys here we go. I have a rounded brake line nut on the master cylinder and need some help taking it off. Any suggestions? Thanks

Brake fluid leak- is it the master cylinder? [ 7 Answers ]

First, my Honda Accord is a 1987 and has seen about 300,000 miles. It is slowly leaking break fluid, because about every two weeks the brake light comes on and I have to put in more fluid. I have looked at it, and the front right caliper is damp with brake fluid so I am replacing that caliper. I am...

Clutch master cylinder kit [ 1 Answers ]

HI I have a toyota hilux 86 petrol 2.0 ltr. I want to replace the seals in the clutch master cylinder. I have bought the kit and am looking for some tips or advice. Matthew

Master Cylinder with ABS Questionn [ 3 Answers ]

I have a question, I have a 1997 Hyundai Accent GS with power brakes and I need to replace the master cylinder. I'm not sure if my car is equipped with ABS or not, I was wondering if I could install a master cylinder with ABS on my car if my car doesn't have ABS on it? Or would I have to just buy a...

View more questions Search