Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    SardarSohail Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 14, 2017, 02:58 AM
    Marriage Issue.
    As salam o Alaikum Respected Scholar,

I would like your advice on an issue that I have.I like to marry a Filipina, who converted to Islam AA in 2011. Her Husband hasn't converted & took another woman even before she converted to islam. They have been separated ever since. She is AA a practicing Muslimah & very devout & loyal to Islam.

Now the issue is that as per the Philippines law, she can't get a divorce & the only way is the annulment of the marriage & which itself is a very lengthy process. We want to start our own life as a married couple & to raise our kids (Note: her children are from her previous & they AA have a certain liking towards Islam). So my question is that in your good knowledge what can we do to take steps to start our own married life.

Thank you so much. I appreciate your attention towards me.Allah Hafiz.
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Jan 14, 2017, 10:11 AM
    Have you consulted a local religious leader about your concerns? If so what did they suggest to you?
    SardarSohail Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 14, 2017, 10:54 AM
    No brother, I'm just searching online. You're the first response I've got. But I read this:

Im christian and married but has been separated for 10 years without legal procedures.I was planning of turning to Islam? Can I marry a Muslim man after I converted to Muslim even though my first marriage is not annulled? Published Date: 2012-09-23 Praise be to Allah. Firstly: We ask Allah to bless you and enable you to enter His religion, and we hope that that will be in the near future. Secondly: If a woman becomes Muslim and her husband does not become Muslim until her ‘iddah (waiting period following divorce or separation) is over, then it is her choice. If she wants she may marry someone else or if she wants she may wait in the hope that he may become Muslim one day. Ibn al-Qayyim (may Allah have mercy on him) said: What is indicated by the ruling of the Prophet (blessings and peace of Allah be upon him) is that the marriage contract is put on hold; if he becomes Muslim before the end of her ‘iddah, then she is his wife, but once her ‘iddah ends, she may marry whoever she wants, or if she likes she may wait for him, and if he becomes Muslim then she is still his wife, with no need for a new marriage contract. End quote from Zaad al-Ma‘aad fi Hadi Khayr al-‘Ibaad, 5/137 For more information please see the answer to question no. 21690 Based on that, if you have become Muslim and your ‘iddah has ended, and your husband has not become Muslim, in this case it is permissible for you to marry a Muslim man and it is not stipulated that you should get a divorce from the first husband, because the marriage was annulled when you became Muslim. Imam ash-Shaafa‘i (may Allah have mercy on him) said: If one of the spouses became Muslim before the other, and the husband had already consummated the marriage with the wife, it is not permissible for the husband to have intercourse with the wife, and the marriage is suspended until the end of the ‘iddah. If the partner who had not yet become Muslim does become Muslim before the end of the ‘iddah, then the marriage is still valid. But if he does not become Muslim before the end of the ‘iddah, then the marriage is ended, and it is an annulment without a divorce, and the woman may marry whoever she wishes from that point. End quote from al-Umm, 5/49 The length of the ‘iddah in this case starts from the time when the wife became Muslim and it lasts for three menstrual cycles if she menstruates, three months if she has passed menopause, and until she gives birth if she is pregnant. And Allah knows best.
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Jan 14, 2017, 12:07 PM
    So much of religious law is bound by local/regional traditions, customs, or authority that it is wise for you both to consult with the local authority on such matters.
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Jan 14, 2017, 12:23 PM
    I don't know of any religion that allows you to marry a still married person.
    Finding SOMEONE who says you can because converting to Islam annuls a marriage sounds dubious to me.
    Talk to your imam. If you don't have one, find one nearby.
    If her children are under age, I predict many problems not only with your religion, but also both countries. Most countries don't allow travel of minors without permission of both parents.
    afaroo Posts: 4,006, Reputation: 251
    Ultra Member

Jan 15, 2017, 03:36 PM
    Hello Sardar Sohail,

Both expert gave you excellent advises and I agree with them, the best thing is to talk to your imam, Good luck.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Please solve this marriage issue! [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, I am a Hindu boy (dad being Hindu and mum being christian) going to get married to a Hindu girl (whose dad is also Hindu and mum christian). Both of us have been following a Christian religion, however officially both of us are Hindus, and hence would like to get married in a traditional...

Regarding the issue of marriage! [ 7 Answers ]

Salaams I am a Muslim girl aged 22 and I have a very big problem regarding my parents and the issue of marriage, my father does not want me to get married and settle down because he is only worried about work and career and jobs, I have found a Muslim boy I would like to marry, he is from a good...

Marriage issue [ 13 Answers ]

Assalamu 'Alaykum wa Rahmatullahi wa Barakatuhu I'm feeling ashame to post my problem here.my problem is that I hv done wrong thing I was involvd with some one in love affair after 5 yrs ago but because of some famliy problem I refused his marrige purposal.six month ago my parents arranged my...

Marriage Investment Issue [ 2 Answers ]

I've been married for almost 13 years, have 3 children 12, 10, and 7. Our life has been pretty picture perfect so far. Nice house with property. We were planning to take out an equity line on our home to start a small addition. My husband's brother has gotten into investment property deals. My...

Marriage issue [ 5 Answers ]

People I need you are help . Several things here. Will give you the back ground . Been married 14 years. In April last year found a mobile bill. Never opened her mail before. I opened it and found over 200 entries to a certain number. I confronted her and she admitted texting this gut for a year....

View more questions Search